Am I wrong here? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Am I wrong here?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Am I wrong here?

Postby nsulham » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:16 pm

It's our league's first year and we already have our first big debate. The issue at hand is positional eligibility. At our draft, we foolishly passed a vote that allowed some players to have special eligibilty at certain positions (i.e, Phelps and Fick at catcher) without looking into and examining it. We hastily voted yes although I wanted to investigate before we voted but it passed anyhow.

Now that Yahoo is out and both Fick and Phelps are not catcher eligible, but we "voted" that they were, the Commish is allowing it. Both owners are throwing it in our faces that they got their way and are using the "we already voted" excuse for their reasoning but I just filed for a re-vote.

I guess what I'm getting at is this: Am I wrong for just thinking that whatever Yahoo determines a player's position to be, THAT'S what it should be, period? Phelps and Fick didn't play a game at catcher last year yet they're going to be eligible there in our league and that doesn't seem fair to me. :-P
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby poundsman » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:18 pm

ur right not fair looks like some people are just lookin for a way to stretch the rules and find an advantage
When my time on earth has passed, I hope the bury me upside down so my critics can kiss my ass.
-Bob Knight-
poundsman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mkoss » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:22 pm

I agree, that's crap. Why would your league decide these players had special eligibility. Hey, can I make Sosa and Berkman eligible at SS so I can get better players there? That just doesn't make sense! Besides, how are they going to put them on their roster? Yahoo won't allow them into the catcher's spot, will it?
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Postby shizzlemynizzle » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:30 pm

I guess I'm with mkoss, I don't understand what the vote was about in the first place? What is this special egligibility crap?
shizzlemynizzle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nsulham » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:38 pm

Ok, this is how convoluted it is: Even though Yahoo doesn't qualify them at the position, the Commish opened a Utility spot so they could be put there.

Example: Since Phelps would be a catcher in our league, but Yahoo doesn't qualify him there, the owner would put him in the Utility spot and leave the regular Catcher spot empty, claiming Phelps as his catcher. Horsedung, I know.

And it's not really "special" like Sosa couldn't be a SS or anything. Just if they've played before or had eligibility there before, thats what they are. Like most people in our league knew of Fick being a catcher....they just didn't know it was 2 years ago probably and the owner, knwoing the other guys didn't care, was able to sneak it in. It sucks, I know thats why I'm fighting it.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mkoss » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:44 pm

Yeah, I realized Fick used to be a catcher and Sammy was never a SS, so the example is a little off, but you get the point. ;) But still, Fick isn't a C now and so he shouldn't have the eligibility.
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Postby nsulham » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:52 pm

Yeah, I knew what you meant ;-D It's just frustrating. Hopefully I can get the rest of the guys to overrturn this thing.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:11 pm

But did they draft relying on being able to use them as CA's. If so, more power to them for using the rules (you guys adopted) to their advantage. You should have grabbed them first.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Brendo » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:24 pm

i want in on this league.....i'll play carlos delgado at catcher and chipper at third.....puljos played a game at short, so put him there.....and sammy sosa has stood on second base before, so he can be my second baseman......what a crappy ruling......tough breaks nsulman
YAHOO! RULES!!!!!
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Munson, Roy E » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:42 pm

Here's a simple solution. Put your best bench guy in the now open Util spot. You'll have an extra hitter while that guy will still have an open catcher spot. Plus you're not doing anything wrong, just taking advantage of the situation like those other guys did.

Am I wrong?
"I don't need your sympathy, man, I need my Johnson. ... What do you need that for Dude?"
Munson, Roy E
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers