Maximum Innings pitched per week - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Maximum Innings pitched per week

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maximum Innings pitched per week

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:14 pm

I want to stop pitcher churning in my league. What is a good number to set my maximum innings pitched per week at in order to discourage it?

My minimum is currently at 18, and each team has 9 pitcher slots (3 SP, 4 RP, and 2 P) I have holds and total bases allowed in addition to the 5 normal categories.

EDIT:

New development:

I'm gonna scrap my fox fbb league and create an ESPN one. They have the option for max moves, max games started per week, and max innings pitched per week. So any input on these options is appreciated.
Last edited by AtlDynasty25 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:29 pm

What I do instead of a maximum innings per week is a maximum moves for the season (we use 40). It works pretty well to prevent churning. The general idea of a weekly maximum kinda turns me off.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:26 pm

Trojan Pony wrote:What I do instead of a maximum innings per week is a maximum moves for the season (we use 40). It works pretty well to prevent churning. The general idea of a weekly maximum kinda turns me off.

That's a good thought. The only concern I have with that method is that a player may have 20 or so roster moves saved up by the end of the year, and then he can use those moves to churn pitchers during his playoff match ups.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BalataGrande » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:33 pm

I think the moves limit will do more for stopping "churning" than anything. I do have a question though. Those who stream/churn are using pitchers who are #4/5 and typically worse than average. IMO, they give up ERA/WHIP for K's/W's. To me, thats 2-2 and no benefit. If on Sunday, they stream to try to win a category, I see no problem with that. Thats strategy and trying to win. I don't like streaming but really don't understand why everyone is SO against it when its really giving up as much as you're getting......
BalataGrande
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:34 pm

If a guy has 20 moves left at the end of the season and he's in playoff contention then he had one HELL of a draft and he deserves the luxury to churn pitchers in the playoffs. I'm half-kidding, I know what you're saying, but last year I tried to conserve as many moves as I could for the playoffs and I still only would up with like 4 left.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:39 pm

Trojan Pony wrote:If a guy has 20 moves left at the end of the season and he's in playoff contention then he had one HELL of a draft and he deserves the luxury to churn pitchers in the playoffs. I'm half-kidding, I know what you're saying, but last year I tried to conserve as many moves as I could for the playoffs and I still only would up with like 4 left.

Gotcha. You're probably right. I guess I've just never payed attention to how many moves I made in a season.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:51 pm

well, just to give you an idea...in my other league last year which has no move limit i used 51 moves last year...i drafted pretty well and just about all of those were fair moves, although i did spot-start pitchers a few times. without the spot-starts i still prolly woulda made at least 40 moves, and that's without playoffs (it's a roto league).
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:51 pm

I'm not sure that my fantasy baseball service (fox fbb) even has an option for max moves.

If anyone uses a weekly max innings pitched, I am still very interested in hearing how that works for you.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:19 pm

New development:

I'm gonna scrap my fox fbb league and create an ESPN one. They have the option for max moves, max games started per week, and max innings pitched per week. So any input on these options is appreciated.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Game JLo » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:25 pm

ESPN looks great! But a max innings pitched is just... ungood. Yahoo has it right with a minimum innings pitched. If you have no minimum innings pitched, you leave yourself open to a HUGE loophole! If I were to play in your league, I would draft the best middle reliever in the game. Pitch him one inning per week. That would win me half the pitching categories. And then for the rest of my draft I wouldn't have to draft any more pitchers!

I would consider moving to Yahoo so that you can have a minimum innings pitched. Until ESPN fixes that loophole, I'll never play there.

For further advice, see my post HERE
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner