Adding bench spots to avoid people making moves?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Adding bench spots to avoid people making moves??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Adding bench spots to avoid people making moves??

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:16 pm

I’m commishing a freeYahoo 10 team H2H league.

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Stats Categories: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, W, L, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP

As of now there are no maximum moves, but last year we had a few people who made quite a few moves. One of the players who doesn’t make many moves left a message:

I think you should have a maximum moves. Say 500 per season. The idea would just to be so that managers can't pick up on drop players just to put them on waivers (so noone else can get them) Not sure if there is some other setting that can fix that.

I can limit moves to 100 or less, but not more than 100. But they seem to be more for the idea of more roster positions... one even suggested 40!

I suggested that we add 5 spots, since we lost 2 players this year (we were a 12 team league). I was suggesting an SP, RP, P, MI, and CI, or something to that affect. They are telling me that it should all be bench spots because we don’t need anymore active players.

What changes do you suggest I should make to try and take care of this problem?
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:38 pm

500 max moves?!?! if you have managers making more than 500 moves your league is already FUBAR.

my league uses 40 max moves. it works well. it's enough to allow for dropping of underperfoming and injured players but also leaves enough room for a decent number of strategically-minded picks, i.e. grabbing an upcoming young batter or a pitcher at the end of the week, but not enough to churn pitchers or the waiver wire or anything like that and take the fun out of the league. i like it cuz it adds a little more strategy to the game...you can't just add and drop whoever you want, which it sounds like guys in your league are not only doing but abusing...the idea of tons of bench spots sounds really annoying, cuz then you could have guys picking up players they don't even need and just hoarding them on their bench or perhaps using them as trade bait or you run into that dilemma where 3 of your bench guys had better games than 3 of your starters and it pisses you off so you put the bench guys in and your starters do better the next day and you spend the whole season playing an annoying guessing game. not a big fan of unnecessary bench spots...lol
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:53 pm

Yeah, thats basically the feel I get with these bench players too. I will add bench spots, only if I add more active players... which I am thinking of doing, because we've lost two players.

I'm not sure why this guy picked 500 moves. Some players do make too many moves... but the one with the most moves didn't get over 500 last year anyway. But he did get in the 400s, and I do agree that this was way too many. The frustrating thing is that he was in 2nd place, and the champion of the league had 300 moves!! I think I will limit it to 100 and see how it goes this year.

Thanks. Any other suggestions would be appreciated too.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MotorCityKitties » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:58 pm

By simply adding bench spots you only create more opportunity to have expendable players that can be churned through each day. 100 is a good number to start, but I don't think anyone needs more than 60 or so moves.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm not sure what we will decide is a good maximum to have. I have no problem with people making moves, but 300 and 400 is just way too much. I'd be happy if the limit was able to stay at 100.

So this league has 25 slots, 17 active players and 8 backups... 10 of those 17 offensive, 7 pitching. I was thinking of adding an IF, another Utility, and maybe two pitchers (SP and RP?), and a backup slot... maybe 2 to make up for the fact that we have 10 players instead of 12.

How does this sound?
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:05 am

we run all the H2HWS leagues with a Max move of 50.
that seems to be the perfect number.

Could you imagine 500?
why does anybody need to make 500 changes to their team. My god!
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:09 am

Every year the issue of moves comes up, and every year it gets shot down... as it did this year. The majority of the players just don't want that restriction put on them. None of them have made 500 moves, but a few of them have gotten up there in moves. It can be frustrating, but in the end, they lose as much as they gain with the players they end up dropping.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:28 pm

Yahoo changed it so that if you add a player and drop him on the same day he does not go on waivers. Also, I don't think adding roster spot spots will combat some of the issues you face in H2H. A lot of H2H leagues use very short benches and this works well. Transaction limits work fine too but like has been pointed out a bunch of times above, 500 is just an insane number. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby perhaps40t » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:17 am

I set my league at 40 and we ended up making it 50, it works well. A move limit increases the importance of the draft as well as making people really consider adding that one-game wonder.

Also, Yahoo lowered their limit on roster spots to 25 (including DL spots).
perhaps40t
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner