If Robertson Can't Say It About Chavez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

If Robertson Can't Say It About Chavez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:24 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Maybe because I'm a liberal that I find what Maher says slightly more acceptable than Coulter ;-)

Could be. As long as you recognize that you're fine. It's when people think that they aren't slanted either way that they have trouble. I recognize my own conservative slant in the grand scheme of things. It helps.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:25 pm

knapplc wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:pretty much agreed with Art here. Maher is entertaining(more entertaining than Ann Coulter would ever be) but can't be taken too seriously.

I don't know that I agree with that assessment. Maher = Coulter IMO. Neither are to be listened to if you want facts. If you're looking for extreme opinions and/or propaganda then listen away.

Moderates do not get their info or entertainment from either of these two jackasses. :-t

I agree that their respective messages are equal, though opposite (if that makes sense), but I find Maher infinitely more entertaining. Him I can watch and laugh and say "what an idiot." I can't leave her on my television for more than 30 seconds because any longer and I'll throw something at the set and break it.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:28 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I agree that their respective messages are equal, though opposite (if that makes sense), but I find Maher infinitely more entertaining. Him I can watch and laugh and say "what an idtiot." I can't leave her on my television for more than 30 seconds because any longer and I'll throw something at the set and break it.

Well, at least Maher has a background in entertainment. He tries to be entertaining. Coulter just tries (and succeeds) to be a jackass (and that's using a nicer term for her than I should).

Both make me sick to my stomach. I can't have either on my TV for more than 30 seconds. :-P
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:12 pm

Maher gets away with more because he's a comedian. He's out to entertain; Limbaugh says equally inflammatory things, and just this weekend Ann Coulter called John Edwards an expletive. People are getting both numb and bored with these entertainer types who make inflammatory comments; Maher's going for viewers, Limbaugh's going for listeners and Coulter's trying to sell more books. But Robertson isn't an entertainer, he's this so-called theological leader and, presumably, when he talks, his 1,000,000 faithful viewers listen.

That's the only reason people get bent out of shape about Robertson. I think he sets a bad example for what he's supposedly supposed to be preaching. If he wants to get away with it, then he should quit pretending he's a man of God and admit he's in it for the money.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:17 pm

Coppermine wrote:I think [Robertson] sets a bad example for what he's supposedly supposed to be preaching.

Understatement of the Year nominee!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:40 pm

First, I don't think he was calling for Cheney to be killed. But it was a poor choice of words. And I condemn him for it.

I'm always against calling for the death of someone with whom you disagree.

I am against it when Ann Coulter openly called for Clinton to be assassinated or for someone to poison Justice Stevens's creme brulee.

I am against it when Sean Hannity told listeners that stopping Pelosi was worth dying for.

I am against it when Glenn Beck openly advocates killing anyone he deems liberal.

I am against it when Bill O'Reilly advocates jailing "secular humanists."

I am against it when Rush Limbaugh advocates nuking much of the world and killing billions.

And I'm against it when Maher suggests, in any form, that someone should kill Cheney. I agree that we'd be a better, stronger country with him out of power, of course, but I don't want the guy dead.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:10 pm

acsguitar wrote:Ok I'll be quick since I don't wanna get in trouble.

I agree with Maher that if he was NEVER the VP maybee things would be different but disagree that if he were to die a magic fairy would bless Iraq with peace and flowery happiness

Yea, I agree with you, Cheny dying now wouldn't fix everything, but if he was never vp...
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sprawwling » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:18 pm

so far as I can see, Maher = Coulter sans boobs. I can't stand either one of them.
Not a big Cheney fan... severely dislike him, actually. But an assassination would result in more turmoil and more violence, not less.
sprawwling
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:38 pm

sprawwling wrote:so far as I can see, Maher = Coulter sans boobs. I can't stand either one of them.
Not a big Cheney fan... severely dislike him, actually. But an assassination would result in more turmoil and more violence, not less.

I don't think that Maher called for Cheney's assassination.

And I don't think there is a single person on the left as bad as Ann Coulter.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ironman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:43 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
sprawwling wrote:so far as I can see, Maher = Coulter sans boobs. I can't stand either one of them.

I don't think that Maher called for Cheney's assassination.

And I don't think there is a single person on the left as bad as Ann Coulter.

The funny thing is, Coulter and Maher are friends. She'd make a nice beard for Maher, and vice versa.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Previous

Return to General Talk