If Robertson Can't Say It About Chavez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

If Robertson Can't Say It About Chavez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

If Robertson Can't Say It About Chavez

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:15 am

Maher certainly can't say it about Cheney. Let me make it clear that I don't think Robertson is worth listening to. I just think that, like our leadership or not, this is a very classless comment, and I'm surprised I'm not hearing more about it after the Robertson hoopla.

Bill Maher wrote:Maher: But I have zero doubt that if Dick Cheney was not in power, people wouldn’t be dying needlessly tomorrow. (applause)

Maher: I’m just saying if he did die, other people, more people would live. That’s a fact.

I didn't like Clinton while he was around, but I certainly didn't hope he'd be assassinated.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby nsulham » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:44 am

Hmm, hadn't heard this. Maybe the Coulter stuff is grabbing the spotlight?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:13 am

Wow. 8-o
To lump the whole problem on Cheney's shoulders seems justified. I mean he runs the whole executive branch by himself. :-t
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:23 am

I haven't seen or heard the actual comment, so I don't know the context, but was he talking about assassination? Or was he talking about Cheney's heart problems? Or something else?

I'm not a big Maher fan, though he does make good points from time to time and he's usually at least entertaining. His problem is that too often he goes overboard for the shock-factor. Anyway, I guess I can't take a side on this until I get more information. I think there's a huge difference between "We'd be better off if he was dead," and "We should kill him."
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:28 am

He was actually talking about some article comments posted on a newspaper website.

As the discussion moved to the attempted assassination of Vice President Cheney last week, Maher asked his panel why it was necessary for the Huffington Post to remove comments by readers concerning their disappointment that the attempt failed.

Ridley: It’s one thing to say you hate Dick Cheney, which applies to his politics. It’s another thing to say, “I’m sorry he didn’t die in an explosion." And I think, you know…

Maher: But you should be able to say it. And by the way...

Frank: Excuse me, Bill, but can I ask you a question? Do you decide what the topics are for this show?

Maher: Yeah, I decide the topics, they don’t go there.

Frank: But you exercise control over the show the way that she does over her blog.

Maher: But I have zero doubt that if Dick Cheney was not in power, people wouldn’t be dying needlessly tomorrow. (applause)

Scarborough: If someone on this panel said that they wished that Dick Cheney had been blown up, and you didn’t say…

Frank: I think he did.

Scarborough: Okay. Did you say…

Maher: No, no. I quoted that.

Frank: You don’t believe that?

Maher: I’m just saying if he did die, other people, more people would live. That’s a fact.

This site seems to be non-journalistic (heavily opinionated), so I didn't read any of their commentary. However, a transcript is a transcript.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:36 am

That transcript actually makes Mahler's comments seem less offensive to me. Although I disagree wholeheartedly with his assertion that is Cheney was somehow removed from power people would stop dying (assumingly in Iraq).
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:11 pm

Ok I'll be quick since I don't wanna get in trouble.

I agree with Maher that if he was NEVER the VP maybee things would be different but disagree that if he were to die a magic fairy would bless Iraq with peace and flowery happiness
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:12 pm

pretty much agreed with Art here. Maher is entertaining(more entertaining than Ann Coulter would ever be) but can't be taken too seriously.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:20 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:pretty much agreed with Art here. Maher is entertaining(more entertaining than Ann Coulter would ever be) but can't be taken too seriously.

I don't know that I agree with that assessment. Maher = Coulter IMO. Neither are to be listened to if you want facts. If you're looking for extreme opinions and/or propaganda then listen away.

Moderates do not get their info or entertainment from either of these two jackasses. :-t
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:23 pm

knapplc wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:pretty much agreed with Art here. Maher is entertaining(more entertaining than Ann Coulter would ever be) but can't be taken too seriously.

I don't know that I agree with that assessment. Maher = Coulter IMO. Neither are to be listened to if you want facts. If you're looking for extreme opinions and/or propaganda then listen away.

Moderates do not get their info or entertainment from either of these two jackasses. :-t

Maybe because I'm a liberal that I find what Maher says slightly more acceptable than Coulter ;-)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk