8 teams in my league. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

8 teams in my league.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

8 teams in my league.

Postby kcuber » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:46 pm

There are 8 teams in my league, would you agree that only one league should be played instead of both? In our case, it would be the NL since we are in Philadelphia. Last year we had 8 teams and did both leagues. It seemed silly to me to do that but there was a majority to do so. There was a team that did not draft a single SP the whole draft and ended up with the best record in the league. He was stacked at Offense and each week would simply pick up pitchers that would pitch twice that week. Thus he would win most of the Offense categories and also win Ws, Ks, and Saves since he had a great reliever. He would win Ws and Ks merely on the fact that he had 10 starts each week when other teams would have 6 to 7.

What do you think? Do you think that one league should be used? If not, how can I prevent this from happening again?

Thanks!
kcuber
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:15 am

I've always played a dual-league format, so I can't really comment on whether or not a single league would be better. I would say however that if you wish to stop a team from churning their pitchers, you can add some categories to punish them, institute a max inning limit per week, or add a transaction limit. I've never had a max inning limit or any punishment categories, but I have played in a league with a transaction limit. That seemed to work pretty well to stop streaming starting pitchers while still leaving enough moves to pick up the occasional hot hand and take care of injuries.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby commence8 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:54 pm

I think it would be best to do an NL-Only league. With both leagues available, everybody will have an all-star team.
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tms298 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:47 pm

If you wanted to do both AL and NL, you could use something like the following settings: In addition to the usual positions, you could have an extra middle infielder, an extra corner infielder, one extra outfielder, and 1 or 2 extra util players. This would make the offensive depth roughly on par with a standard 12 team league. As for pitching, it seems as if you use weekly lineup changes. Use k/9 instead of k's and put a transaction limit of 30-40 for the year.

You basically have to decide if you want a super deep league (8 teams in NL only is like a 16 team league with both AL/NL) or if you would rather try to adjust your settings to mimic the depth of a standard 12 team league. I don't think you want an 8 team league with standard settings that has the full mlb player universe--there's just too many good players.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Commissioner's Corner