Strategy Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy Question

Postby Apex » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:02 pm

I'm new to this site and relatively new to fantasy baseball. I played in a league last year for the first time, and I'm starting to work on my draft strategy for next year. I feel like I have a good strategy for next season, but I wanted to get some opinions from some experts first.

First of all, I'm not in a traditional 5x5 league. We used 15 categories for pitching and hitting, which was admittedly complicated, but worked fine last year. The pitching categories were:

IP, W, L, Saves, Holds, CG, Shut-Outs, HR, K, BB, WP, Balks, SB, ERA, and WHIP.

(The offensive categories aren't important, as I'll explain.)

The theory I'm considering is to virtually eliminate starting pitchers from my team. My thought is that while I'll finish in last lace in IP, W, CG and Shut-Outs, I'll finish at or near the top in the rest of the categories. (I should point out that we have a maximum of 1250 innings, but no minimum.)

In addition, I can use most of my early draft choices on hitters and have a much higher likelihood of finishing very high in all those categories as well. The key will be to be smart when drafting closers and middle relievers to make sure their ERA and WHIP will keep my team totals low. (I had considered using no pitchers at all and locking up ERA and WHIP, but I'm getting greedy and saw the potential for leading saves and holds without much damage to the other two categories.)

One final thought: This is actually a keeper league, and we had to keep a minimum of two pitchers. I have Prior, so I may not even have to be at the very bottom of the CG and ShO categories either! I'm thinking bottom third, but even those few points will be nice!

So that's it. I can't imagine that this is a new theory, but it seems a lot more likely to work in my league with the categories we use than in traditional leagues. Any thoughts on this strategy for my league? Any thoughts on it for a traditional league? Has anyone used anything similar in the past? How did it go?

Thanksfor the site, and thanks for the help!
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby John Bonzo » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:07 pm

Who else are you keeping? With this strategy, its pretty important to try to trade for Gange i would think. I think its a possibilty for this strategy to work, as long as no one else is using the strategy as well.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hayseed » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:21 pm

Yeah it seems it has a shot at working in that league as long as you get a couple topnotch closers.. Gagne and maybe Wagner? good luck with it
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby John Bonzo » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:23 pm

Sorry this somehow double posted...is there any way to delete posts?
Last edited by John Bonzo on Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:41 pm

i thinking punting categories works best in head to head leagues where you arent measured against the league as a whole but just against one opponent. also, in head to head you take a win or nothing approach whereas in roto there are points for second place.

in 5x5 i wouldnt recommend it but the more categories you have the better chance there is of pulling this off. i cant say i really like those pitching categories as only ip, wins, losses, cg, and sho favor starting pitching. the rest seem to favor relievers. if your current roster was really thin on starters i might try this but if you wanted to punt categories i think that saves and stolen bases are the easiest ones to get away with. you can find middle relievers with good ratios and get points in holds and with a good starting pitchers you can compete in those categories as well so you basically just end up throwing out one pitching category and you save one or two good draft picks.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Apex » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:29 pm

John Bonzo wrote:Who else are you keeping? With this strategy, its pretty important to try to trade for Gange i would think. I think its a possibilty for this strategy to work, as long as no one else is using the strategy as well.

My other keepers are Foulke, Pujols, Garciaparra, Sexson and Preston Wilson. Granted, Foulke is no Gagne, but I would have plenty of roster spots avaliable to draft some additional closers to increase my saves. Last season 120 saves won the league. I figure if I can pull out 3 more decent closers I can come close to that. Besides, since it's not head-to-head, I wouldn't have to win the category outright to be satisfied. I'm really just counting on winning the BS categories by posting a limited number of innings.

For the record, I'm not wild about the categories, but you play with what you're dealt, right!?
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Postby grammysboy » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:23 pm

The next question I would ask is: How many pitchers do you have to keep on your roster. If you must keep nine, you may find it difficult to fill all the positions with quality relievers.

The major flaw to this strategy is those "blow-ups" that closers and relief pitchers have. Ex. Damaso Marte has an ERA of 2.something and a WHIP of 1.1-something. He only pitches about seven innings a week, so when he goes in and gives up four hits and 3 runs in the seventh inning his ERA goes ballistic and the WHIP really starts to suck. With nine relievers on your roster, you may only get 60-70 innings a week which really magnifies those bad appearances. As the season progresses these "blips" will become less noticable, but they will really show in the first half of the season.

It would be time consuming, but you could go back to last season to see how your plan would have worked that year. If you have lots of time, do a couple of years to get a real "feel" for the effectiveness of this strategy.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Strategy Question

Postby ramble2 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:50 pm

Apex wrote:The theory I'm considering is to virtually eliminate starting pitchers from my team. My thought is that while I'll finish in last lace in IP, W, CG and Shut-Outs, I'll finish at or near the top in the rest of the categories. (I should point out that we have a maximum of 1250 innings, but no minimum.)

Hold on. IP counts as a category AND there's a 1250 IP maximum? :-?

If you pick the right relievers, you might be able to make it up to 1250 IP.

Obviously keep Prior. Then look for guys who have a high K/IP, W/IP, etc. It's a ratios game for you.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Apex » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:50 pm

grammysboy wrote:The next question I would ask is: How many pitchers do you have to keep on your roster. If you must keep nine, you may find it difficult to fill all the positions with quality relievers.

There is no minimum number of pitchers on the roster, but I plan to try to keep 7-8 relievers. In addition to Prior, I'm also going to try to pick up a starter near the end of the draft that no one in my league has heard of. (That happens a lot!)

I'm not worried about finding quality relievers to fill the roster. At various points in the season last year, these relievers were either on my roster or free agents:

Foulke, Borowski, Hasegawa, Quantrill, Valverde, Soriano, Cormier, etc.

I didn't have great closers last year, but I'm going to seek a few more out this year. I'm targetting guys like Isringhausen and maybe Nen that won't have full-season stats from last year. (The other team owners rely too heavily on previous year's performance, and will probably miss them.) I think I can put together a decent group of relievers that can keep my ERA and WHIP low.

grammysboy wrote:The major flaw to this strategy is those "blow-ups" that closers and relief pitchers have. Ex. Damaso Marte has an ERA of 2.something and a WHIP of 1.1-something. He only pitches about seven innings a week, so when he goes in and gives up four hits and 3 runs in the seventh inning his ERA goes ballistic and the WHIP really starts to suck. With nine relievers on your roster, you may only get 60-70 innings a week which really magnifies those bad appearances. As the season progresses these "blips" will become less noticable, but they will really show in the first half of the season.

You're right about this point, but I'm committing to the strategy for the season, and I'll have to ride these blow-ups on occasion.

grammysboy wrote:It would be time consuming, but you could go back to last season to see how your plan would have worked that year. If you have lots of time, do a couple of years to get a real "feel" for the effectiveness of this strategy.

I thought about doing this, but it's hard to put it into practice. I can look at last year's statistics, but how do I objectively select which relievers to put on the team? If I select them based on their final stats, I'm going to put together a staff that's going to prove my point. The problem is that I can't be guaranteed stats when I pick a new team this year. For instance, Quantrill had low ERA and WHIP and a decent amount of holds, but what if he has a terrible year this season?

BTW, this is a 9-team league, so the pool of players isn't quite as watered down as a 12-team or AL/NL-only league. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts. I'm really still mulling this one over.
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:03 pm

Well, I have a motto and it's "Never punt a catagory!"

With that said, the amount of catagories makes it an interesting situation. Personally, I've seen the "all reliever" strategy many, many times, and I've never seen it work. Most of the time, the person doing it was it the top portion of the league, but not one of them actually won any of them.

With 15 catagories, it's an interesting situation, but I would suggest no less than at least 3 starters. You will have to have some points in wins/innings/CG's/SHO. If you don't get points in those catagories, it will kill you.

Look at it this way, say you win the other 11 catagories and only get 2 points apiece in the 4 that you are going to punt. 9 teams in the league so first in a catagory is 9 points and last is 1 point.

11x9=99
4x2=08

That's a total of 107 points.

Now let's say that someone gets 2nd in all 15 catagories.

15x8=120

That's 13 points that they beat you by and they could actually have some 3rd or 4th place finishes in a couple of catagories and still beat you.

Bottom line: Never punt a catagory. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers