Picks 44 to 68 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Picks 44 to 68

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby guffee » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:02 am

don't discount the need for a solid closer. If you have 2 good ones like nathan and bj ryan and a decent 3rd 1(i.e. fuentes), you get, possibly, 9 innings of work a week with an era of 1 or under, whip under 1, 6 ks, a possible win, and all the saves you earn. that is better than a starter. combine that with 4 or 5 good starters and you can excel at k's, whip, era, and saves. You'll just sacrifice wins. You can also make the move to drop a starter who isn't having a good year because your closers are so solid and valuable. if you punt closers or get crappy ones, you could become deficient in whip, era, and saves. i would rather take the 4 good cats with closers than 2 good one and question marks with the others without solid closers.

btw: first time here in this side of the forum. usually spend my time at the basketball forum.
guffee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby rjforlife » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:27 am

Ender wrote:
ttwarrior1 wrote:you guys must be drunk, half those guys are taken way before then,

Keep in mind its a 10 team league. If you only have 1 C slot I dont' take a C slot here, if you have 2 I'm all over VMart. I like Furcal and Konerko the best assuming they fit your teams needs. Its kind of hard to say becasue you play in such a shallow league that just playing the hot hand is probably going to win the league, not drafting well.

i dont know how shallow it is since we start MI,CI, 4 OFs and 2 Util along with the normal spots 6 bench and 3 dl. the free agent pool once the 300 players taken in the draft is not a pretty thing. i realize there are much deeper league but this league isnt shallow enough to not have to really focus on the draft. also, i forgot to mention this earlier but it is a 4 year keeper in year 1, im wondering if that changes whom i should be taking in these rounds at all? we keep 6 and one rookie, so these players would technically be probable keepers.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby willy-t » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:53 am

I'll probably take 2 pitchers in rounds 5-7, those second tier guys, Smoltz, Myers, Lackey, CC Sabathia etc etc are golden when you take them with a stud that you took in the first 4 rounds. Give me a stud, 2 second tier guys and a top 5 closer to go with 4 well rounded hitters and I'm a happy man.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BritSox » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:15 am

There's no way Smoltz in the sixth is too early. I'd consider him in the second half of the fifth, and if he falls to me with any sixth-round pick, he's mine. But there are always guys who fall, and guys who get reached on. Most of my leagues are 14-teamers, and I think I'd take Sheets in the sixth happily enough.

I think the fifth is about the right round to start going after the elite closers, though of course, if there's a run that opens up a lot of intriguing other possibilities. I can't actually believe these guys' ADP is really that low. Normally, every league has that one guy who takes their favourite closer in the third, whilst I don't think I've ever seen them fall below the fifth.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby slomo007 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:45 am

There's a big group of very shaky closer candidates this year to say the least, so I would prefer to lock one one of the elite closers in the mid rounds this year. I'm talking K-Rod, Rivera, Nathan, Ryan, Wagner.

I can definitely see the case for V-Mart and Smoltz...but not sure I would grab anyone else you listed just yet. Maybe Figgins, but if he's hitting 9th this year then that really hurts his value.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:23 pm

Konerko
Matsui
Zimmerman
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby rjforlife » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:09 pm

i am really starting to warm up to matsui.....and yes i did just watch him rip one out on espn but still i kind of forgot how good he has been since coming over. say i have 1 starter and 3 hitters for my first four picks. would it then seem wise to take:

Wagner
Sheets
Matsui

or some combination of a closer,starter,and hitter? or is it still to early to not just get BA? i think that is really the heart of my question. do i start looking at scarcity and whats available at different positions in these rounds or should i simply grab the best player?
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby Dan Charette » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:10 pm

I think that you do have to look at positions. I like to kind of work my draft backwards. What I mean is , I see what positions have the most players that I like in later rounds. If you're in round 5, then I like to look at adp's for rounds 10 through 15 or so.
And then I see which positions have the fewest options for those rounds. I then make sure I get someone in rounds 5-9 to fill the positions I don't think I can fill later.
If there's only 1 or 2 at a position that you like for later rounds, you might get burned. I like to see what positions might have a group of 4 or 5 players that you like as sleepers , then you can wait.
I usually do a chart of all the positions , which uses scarcity.
So in other words, I rank my positions to see which ones have the most late round value picks. The positions with the least amount of late round value are the ones I fill first. That's how I avoid getting stuck with a dub at some position.
I take my pitchers when I feel I can. I do like to get 1 of the top 6 closers. I also get 1 of the top 10 starters.
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers