Can someone help explain pitching in H2H? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can someone help explain pitching in H2H?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can someone help explain pitching in H2H?

Postby chipper » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:12 pm

I'm used to playing in a points league with an innings limit.
In H2H, are there unlimited innings or whats the deal?

What other type of weekly strategies are there that differ from a season long points league?

Thanks everyone.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ondeckb » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:35 pm

In typical Yahoo leagues there is no innings limit......however there is a minimum innings pitched, which I believe is 7. If you're in a custom league, or playing elsewhere, you might have other rules. If you have pitchers, you pretty much let em rip.....this can help you for wins and K's, but could be damaging for ERA and WHIP. BTW, there are NO points in baseball!
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:04 pm

2-starts are huge in H2H.

I'd say have a couple of good closers than load up on starters & rotate depending on matchups & 2-starts.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j24jags » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:34 pm

There are three things you can do in H2H.

1. Start just MRs/RPs (If you get 4-5 you'll have no problem metting the innings requirement). You'll win ERA, WHIP, Saves more often than not. 7 Innings is a very low minimum. The risk you run is that if one of your guys blows up you will probably only win saves for that week.

2. Churn. Most people frown upon this, but it is effective if you want to win just Wins and Ks.

3. Normal. Approx 3-5 starting pitchers depending on the depth of your league, you staff, paired with 2-3 closers, possibly a MR. This is the only technique that allows you to win all 5 on a good win. Unfortunately, you can lose all 5. If you are down in Ks/Ws late in the week you can always grab 1-3 spot starts over the weekend to make a close comeback.

I use the 3rd, most conventional. ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DeadWinterDay » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:02 pm

Last year I kinda used a churning method. I had all of my SPs make every start as well as had most of my RPs just be starters with RP eligibility.

It was extremely effective for me, I didn't lose Ks at all and I only lost wins 3 or 4 times throughout the entire year...and I won era/whip about half of the time. In the draft I punted saves, but over the course of the year with the help of this forum I was able to finish the year with a few decent closers, and ended up winning saves about a third or half of the time as well.
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:05 pm

In h2h, spot starting (not churning) is huge. If you know going into a week that you'll only have one or two 2-start pitchers, you need to look ahead and find the best WW starts for the week. Of course in deeper leagues there are times you need to play conservative... if you know the opponent is going to get 20+ more IP than you for a given week, and there is nobody good on the WW... give up on K and W, start your best guys just enough to meet the IP minimum, and try for ERA and WHIP.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JakeTrain72 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:46 pm

tinfoilxtouch wrote:In h2h, spot starting (not churning) is huge. If you know going into a week that you'll only have one or two 2-start pitchers, you need to look ahead and find the best WW starts for the week. Of course in deeper leagues there are times you need to play conservative... if you know the opponent is going to get 20+ more IP than you for a given week, and there is nobody good on the WW... give up on K and W, start your best guys just enough to meet the IP minimum, and try for ERA and WHIP.

I agree. You should not wait until the weekend to look into spot starters for the next week as well. If you have the time, look on wed or thur for next week's WW pitchers. Also, look at who you play next week. If they are the type of team that likes to churn or spot, you can beat them to the punch. You dont have to use him if you dont want, but it is far better for him to put up numbers on your bench rather than against you. Of course if you have a transaction limit you will need to weigh your options more carefully.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JakeTrain72 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:47 pm

double post
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Half Massed » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:14 pm

You can start as many pitchers as you want with no consequence other than the resulting stats. I usually play it similarly to roto, other than I start a few more pitchers because I don't have to worry about an innings limit.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby chipper » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:22 pm

Nice.

Thanks fellas.

I assume drafting hitters and stuff is pretty much the same.
Looks like you go for closers earlier than a points league.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers