when to expect Norichika Aoki in majors?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

when to expect Norichika Aoki in majors??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

when to expect Norichika Aoki in majors??

Postby Koko B Ware » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:04 am

Didn't know if this was right forum for this or not...since he hasn't played in majors seems ok...Anyway, would like to snag this guy in the last round of my draft but was just curious as to when he may come over the the majors?? I am in a keeper league...yet I don't want to hold onto him for 3 years... Anyone out there know anything about him?? Please help if so
Koko B Ware
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rhd » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:16 am

He's played only 2 full seasons in Japan, and wont be a FA for another 7 years. Which means that likely he wont be posted, if at all, until 6 years from now. Which means you shouldnt draft him until a year or 2 before he's likely to be posted. In short, I wouldnt draft him now unless you dont mind him taking up a spot on your minor league roster for about 4-5 years. Is Kosuke Fukudome available? I think he's better than Aoki (think Hideki Matsui) and quite possibly may come to MLB next year. Or, you could take a chance on one of the elite or semi-elite pitchers that may be coming over next year, like Koji Uehara (almost definitely coming), Kenshin Kawakami (good possibility), Hiroki Kuroda (maybe), or Kazumi Saitoh (maybe). There's also the closer Hitoki Iwase who might jump over.
rhd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:24 am

rhd wrote:He's played only 2 full seasons in Japan, and wont be a FA for another 7 years. Which means that likely he wont be posted, if at all, until 6 years from now. Which means you shouldnt draft him until a year or 2 before he's likely to be posted. In short, I wouldnt draft him now unless you dont mind him taking up a spot on your minor league roster for about 4-5 years. Is Kosuke Fukudome available? I think he's better than Aoki (think Hideki Matsui) and quite possibly may come to MLB next year. Or, you could take a chance on one of the elite or semi-elite pitchers that may be coming over next year, like Koji Uehara (almost definitely coming), Kenshin Kawakami (good possibility), Hiroki Kuroda (maybe), or Kazumi Saitoh (maybe). There's also the closer Hitoki Iwase who might jump over.

Somebody read my article... ;-D
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Re: when to expect Norichika Aoki in majors??

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:48 am

Koko B Ware wrote:Didn't know if this was right forum for this or not...since he hasn't played in majors seems ok...Anyway, would like to snag this guy in the last round of my draft but was just curious as to when he may come over the the majors?? I am in a keeper league...yet I don't want to hold onto him for 3 years... Anyone out there know anything about him?? Please help if so

Yeah, Aoki is far too cheap, young, and productive for the Swallows to post him anytime soon. Aoki has asked to be posted but it likely won't happen anytime soon enough to warrant drafting him. Plus, the Swallows just posted Iwamura so they'd likely want some stability before auction Aoki to the majors (not to mention they might have a few RPs leave before Aoki). As the rhd mentioned, Fukudome is the offensive stud you're looking for and will likely jump ship for the 2008 MLB season. If you're looking for another star Japanese batter take a gander at Histoshi Tamura. He'll likely make the jump in the next 2-3 years. He was injured for a lot of 2006 and traded to the Hawks but he's got fantastic skills and great opposite field power.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 115)

Postby Hitdogman » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:13 pm

Havok1517, what do you think both Fukodome and Uehara would project as far as MLB numbers?
Hitdogman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby speedy27 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:57 pm

b/w Koji Uehara and Kazumi Saitoh which one would you rather stash away for the possibility of coming to MLB next season?

If you were to stash 2 players on a minor league team which 2 would they be and why?

thanks for the heads up on some possible hidden gems!
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby rhd » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:24 pm

During today's ESPN chat, Jim Callis was asked who he'd rather have in 2008: H. Matsui or Fukudome and he said Fukudome. That surprised even me. Maybe he thinks Matsui will be in decline by then. But whatever, I think Fukudome will be real good.
rhd
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby head first slide » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:54 am

I'm reading that after the 2010 season, he has earned international free agency.
If you don't get him this season, it may be too late.
There was a fantasy book that's popular that went over the chances for some of the Japanese players coming over. So now that it's in print (Ron Shandler's Baseball Forecaster)...if anyone in your league is getting HQ subscriptions...or uses the Forecaster...you may have to choose him a bit higher.
He's the most exciting player offensively in Japan.
If you're looking for a pitcher...Shandler references Iwakuma as a starter, a couple of closer types...and a SS that really wants to come, but his team isn't goonna post him (I believe he's an international free agent after the 2010 or '11 season).
head first slide
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mblax10 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:31 am

Would somebody mind running down the top 10 or so NPB players who could come over at some point, what season they're expected to be a FA and how likely they come to the US (probably a huge shot in the dark). There's a couple Asians who go in my minor league draft every year and I want to make sure I'm not missing anybody.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jeffmerk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Yu Darvish P, Akihiro Higashide 2B, Hisanori Takahashi P, Naoyuki Shimizu P, Hitoki Iwase P, Tasuku Hashimoto C, Kuzumi Saitoh P, Hitoshi Tamura OF, Makoto Kaneko SS,Tomohiro Nioka SS, Koji Mitsui P, Tateyama Yoshinori P and Shingo Ono P are the possible crossovers I see mentioned but I don't have any ETA info.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 90)

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball