Geico commercials turn into TV Pilot - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Geico commercials turn into TV Pilot

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
acsguitar wrote:This is awesome!!

;-D

I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa

agreed, I don't see this is as being the worst idea on tv.

That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:14 pm

acsguitar wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:
acsguitar wrote:This is awesome!!

;-D

I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa

agreed, I don't see this is as being the worst idea on tv.

It could be really funny ;-D

And it could show us to just joke around with political correctness or whatever

bet they'll have a show about knock women out and drag them back to the cave(I mean apartment)
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:30 pm

I think it's a great idea because, personally, I think the caveman ads are clever, original and funny... three things that are rarely used to describe sitcoms on TV now.

Now lets just hope ABC does the right thing and leaves out the laugh track; although this is coming from the network that brought you "According to Jim" which, somehow, is still on the air.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:04 pm

This won't work, mainly because of the SNL skit corollary, which states that you can't take something that is funny for a minute and make it funny for an extended period of time.

It's like taking your favorite one-liner joke and writing a novel from it.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm

ironman wrote:This won't work, mainly because of the SNL skit corollary, which states that you can't take something that is funny for a minute and make it funny for an extended period of time.

I have a contradictory example; The Simpsons.

Started as a hilarious 2-minute short on the Tracy Ulman show back in the late 80's.

Although, by and large, you're right; there's a lot more SNL skit misses ("Night at the Roxbury; Superstar") than hits ("Blues Brothers; Wayne's World"). But it's obviously not without precedent.

Now I don't know if an advertising campaign has ever successfully been made into a show, or even tried except for the stupid talking baby.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:23 pm

I may check this out, but I don't have high expectations for it. I just can't see the same gag being funny over and over again, not only for a half-hour, but for a full season. I realize the whole point of a sit-com is to put the characters into different funny situations, but really, how much potential does this premise have? I think they'll have a hard time developing the characters and getting the audience to actually care about them, which is key to a successful sit-com. I don't know, it just seems that they will be extremely limited:

episode 1: character tries to get a job, is told they don't hire cavemen, argument ensues with hilarious results.

episode 2: character tries to get a date, object of his affection says she doesn't date cavemen, argument ensues with hilarious results.

episode 3: character tries to get a table in restaraunt, is told they don't serve cavemen, argument ensues with hilarious results.

episode 4: character tries to join country club, is told they don't allow caveman members, arguement ensues with hilarious results

How long will this be funny?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:36 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I may check this out, but I don't have high expectations for it. I just can't see the same gag being funny over and over again, not only for a half-hour, but for a full season. I realize the whole point of a sit-com is to put the characters into different funny situations, but really, how much potential does this premise have? I think they'll have a hard time developing the characters and getting the audience to actually care about them, which is key to a successful sit-com. I don't know, it just seems that they will be extremely limited:

episode 1: character tries to get a job, is told they don't hire cavemen, argument ensues with hilarious results.

episode 2: character tries to get a date, object of his affection says she doesn't date cavemen, argument ensues with hilarious results.

episode 3: character tries to get a table in restaraunt, is told they don't serve cavemen, argument ensues with hilarious results.

episode 4: character tries to join country club, is told they don't allow caveman members, arguement ensues with hilarious results

maybe if there's an episode where "hijinks ensue" it could stay fresh a little longer
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:41 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I may check this out, but I don't have high expectations for it. I just can't see the same gag being funny over and over again, not only for a half-hour, but for a full season. I realize the whole point of a sit-com is to put the characters into different funny situations, but really, how much potential does this premise have? I think they'll have a hard time developing the characters and getting the audience to actually care about them, which is key to a successful sit-com. I don't know, it just seems that they will be extremely limited:

maybe if there's an episode where "hijinks ensue" it could stay fresh a little longer

I think hilarity has the potential to ensue for at least 2 episodes.

Maybe it will be like that Knights of Prosperity show; the first episode was hilarious and showed real promise. The second episode made me want to yarf on myself. Some stuff just isn't funny for more than 22 minutes plus commercials.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:00 pm

Coppermine wrote:
ironman wrote:This won't work, mainly because of the SNL skit corollary, which states that you can't take something that is funny for a minute and make it funny for an extended period of time.

Started as a hilarious 2-minute short on the Tracy Ulman show back in the late 80's.

Yeah but The Simpsons weren't totally confined to a single theme or gag. They had brilliant writers that created a vast array of characters and subjects. Of course by the 8th season every funny story had been exhausted and they ran on fumes for a couple more years before turning into the complete turd factory it is now. I have zero expectations that the movie will be funny at all.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:02 pm

ironman wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Yeah but The Simpsons weren't totally confined to a single theme or gag. They had brilliant writers that created a vast array of characters and subjects. Of course by the 8th season every funny story had been exhausted and they ran on fumes for a couple more years before turning into the complete turd factory it is now. I have zero expectations that the movie will be funny at all.

Yeah, this movie should have been released 6 years ago as a grand finale for the show. But what else are the writers going to do? It's not like Futurama was any good :-b

The more I think about this caveman show, the more I think it will sink like an anvil. But I guess the point is, anything can happen and given the state of television (particularly comedy) it's probably worth a try.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk