Shoeless Joe Jackson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Shoeless Joe Jackson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should Shoeless Joe Jackson be enshrined into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes : 38

Postby LCBOY » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:56 pm

I just went to Barnes and Noble and bought a copy of Eight Men Out... ;-)
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:48 am

Shoeless Joe was by far the best player in the World Series that year, and he blew away everybody else with stats. Also, those triples that were hit were NOT all hit to him. I think one of them was to him, and it was to center field, but he got to it first. His defense was fine, and his hitting was awesome. He was innocent, and should be in the Hall. There's no evidence that he was involved in throwing any games. He was given money which he did not accept, but tried to return.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:52 am

How can you try to return money that you did not accept in the first place?? IMHO, that's like buying drugs, getting caught, and saying that you didn't intend to use them.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Arlo » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:10 am

LBJackal wrote:Shoeless Joe was by far the best player in the World Series that year, and he blew away everybody else with stats. Also, those triples that were hit were NOT all hit to him. I think one of them was to him, and it was to center field, but he got to it first. His defense was fine, and his hitting was awesome. He was innocent, and should be in the Hall. There's no evidence that he was involved in throwing any games. He was given money which he did not accept, but tried to return.

I think stats won't help us much here. Yes, his overall numbers were excellent (although 'blew everybody away' might be a bit of an exaggeration), but in games that were thrown and situations that mattered, his stats are pretty pedestrian. On the other hand, that doesn't prove he's guilty of throwing games, either.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby frog99 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:57 am

8 Men Out page 177 wrote: After they swore [Jackson] in, he began talking. They asked him questions, leading into the story of the fix. He told them of the gradual feeling-out by Gandil and Risberg...They would give him $20,000 for helping out. It was easy; all he had to do was go along with it; let a ball drop a few feet in front of him; not hit the big one with men on. He could look good and still play badly. Twenty thousand dollars. Finally he agreed...

this is when JAckson testified to the grandjury that he had agreed to help fix the 1919 World Series. I don't really see what other proof i need to put foward. He is guilty.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:29 pm

I think he should be in.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Yes

Postby Stejay » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:01 pm

Yes, i do think that Joe Jackson shoul be elected to the hall of fame. He was too good not to be. One moment of madness and everyone forgets about greatness. Same with Rose. Saying that, I also think itwoul be unfair to elect Jackson and not Rose. So there you have i, a plus and a minus. Overall, they should both be elected
Stejay
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Yes

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:26 pm

Stejay wrote:Yes, i do think that Joe Jackson shoul be elected to the hall of fame. He was too good not to be. One moment of madness and everyone forgets about greatness. Same with Rose. Saying that, I also think itwoul be unfair to elect Jackson and not Rose. So there you have i, a plus and a minus. Overall, they should both be elected

Agreed. Both should be in. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:29 am

Neither Rose nor Jackson should be in, they broke the roles of the game, knew the consequences and got caught.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby duckmonkey » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:05 pm

He SHOULD be in the Hall. He was found NOT GUILTY by the jury. He was offered money, but tried to let Comiskey know about it and asked NOT to play...declined by Comiskey.

His testimony: http://www.blackbetsy.com/jjtestimony1920.pdf

The only thing Jackson was guilty of was association. He was banned by baseball and being the man of character he was...did not protest. He was banned with the other 7 guilty players because of the bad press that this incident brought to the game of baseball.
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball History