Auction Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction Help

Postby I AM JUAN » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:08 pm

I apologize if this is the wrong forum. wasn't quite sure where to ask this.

I am entering my first auction league this year. It's a 15 team roto league, 5x5. It's my first time doing roto as well. The league is 14 hitters (2c, 1b, 2b, 3b, ss, ci, mi, 5 of, dh) and 9 pitchers (any pitchers. $260 cap for these players (all starters), then you draft a bench. 2 dl spots.

Few questions:
1) Is there a good software/site out there (professional or homemade) that has projections (pref. projections you can customize),the translated $ values based on your league paramters.

2) Has anyone been in a league like this that they could send final standings form last year, so I could see what it takes to win each category (finish 2nd,3rd, etc...). Or, is there a site that has this type of info?

3) For any roto players out there, what is the biggest differences form h2h. In h2h, I typically ignore speed. I imagine I can't compeltely do that in roto. I'd love to hear any successful roto strategies.

4) For anyone that has been successful in auctions in deep leagues liek this, I'd love to hear how you go about constructing your team.

Sorry for the long message and the many questions. Any help would be greatly aprpeciated.
I AM JUAN
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction Help

Postby Element » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:29 am

1) Is there a good software/site out there (professional or homemade) that has projections (pref. projections you can customize),the translated $ values based on your league paramters.

They may be some, but I never use them. I've been doing my auction league for 7 years now (same parameters) and every season it seems as though the results and flow are different. It depends on how agressive or conservative other owners in your league may be as well. So using projected dollar values are never really that important. Since it's your 1st time, it really comes down to experience. It will likely take you 2-3 years to get to understand it before you can really draft up a good plan. If you want some idea of how dollar values translate in standard 12 team 5x5 leagues, there have been a couple mocks done right here at the Cafe. Click on Forums and scroll down. You'll see 'em.

2) Has anyone been in a league like this that they could send final standings form last year, so I could see what it takes to win each category (finish 2nd,3rd, etc...). Or, is there a site that has this type of info?

I personally do not know of a site, nor have I been in an auction league this deep. The goals I reach for in my league is 330 homers, a 0.290 BA, 1240 RBI's, 180 steals, a 0.368 OBP (we don't use runs), an ERA below 3.45, 100 wins, 105 saves (usually made up in season), 1270 k's & a whip of 1.22. If I can reach these goals, I can place top 3 in every catagory.

3) For any roto players out there, what is the biggest differences form h2h. In h2h, I typically ignore speed. I imagine I can't compeltely do that in roto. I'd love to hear any successful roto strategies.

Balance. Never punt a catagory in roto. Set targets for yourself like I have above and try to create a pre-draft plan by plugging players into your 'dream team' roster. Like I said, since it's your 1st roto league and 1st auction, it could be rough. The experience is good though. Also, exercise patience! It's a loooong season. In H2H, you can get away with playing the hot hand a lot of times. You can in roto too to some degree, but it's really about the final stats and who will perform for you over the course of 6 months. Buy low, sell high.

Another piece of in draft advice would be to never throw out a player that you intend to bid on, or could be interested in. Make other owners spend their cap up on the players that you don't want. As the draft starts to wind down though, be certain that if you throw out a player you don't want that someone will bid up on him. It's never fun being that guy that gets stuck with Shawn Chacon for $1.

4) For anyone that has been successful in auctions in deep leagues liek this, I'd love to hear how you go about constructing your team.

I havn't been in anything deeper than a 12 team, 23 player (everyone starts, no bench) league. But stradegy can't be too much different. My 1st couple of seaons were the same. Just draft for value. A good example would be if I was targetting Hanley Ramirez this season and I had $22 budgeted for him. If another owner steps into a bidding war with me and the price becomes too steep, not keep going just because he's your guy. Find the deals. Every auction will have players that fall into the mid rounds that probably shouldn't. These are the guys that you target. Hopefully, you have saved some cash and the other owners are dead broke. Take advantage.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:55 am

I AM JUAN wrote:I apologize if this is the wrong forum. wasn't quite sure where to ask this.

I am entering my first auction league this year. It's a 15 team roto league, 5x5. It's my first time doing roto as well. The league is 14 hitters (2c, 1b, 2b, 3b, ss, ci, mi, 5 of, dh) and 9 pitchers (any pitchers. $260 cap for these players (all starters), then you draft a bench. 2 dl spots.

Few questions:

I'm guessing this must be a new league or else you'd ask them for their final standings?

Patience is excellent advice.

Be flexible - be prepared to bid on anyone that is undervalue. That means you'll have to study and have a value in mind for all available players (hopefully this is a keeper league?)

Sorry for the long message and the many questions. Any help would be greatly aprpeciated.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby in10s » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:18 pm

I AM JUAN wrote:I apologize if this is the wrong forum. wasn't quite sure where to ask this.

Few questions:

Question, is this a keeper league? How many do you keep each year? That makes a difference in how you approach things. IMO, keeper auctions are much better, because you can strategize, trade for today or future or inbetween.

For #1) Some free sites: http://www.rotospin.com/Main.aspx, http://www.thomasgeorge.com/baseball/dollar_parms.cfm, http://www.fantasysportscentral.com. Quality varies, you get what you pay for. Lots of pay sites available too.

for # 2) There is a thread here about this topic somewhere here at the cafe, but I couldn't find it when I searched. People posted the totals for each category in their league. But I think you should auction for value, not looking at projected totals in each category. Depending on how much people trade, you can usually trade value to cover categories you missed at the auction.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby I AM JUAN » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:57 pm

It's not a keeper league.

Agree on auctioning for value. I just want to get a sense of what it take to finish at/near the top of each category.

thanks to all for the help so far
I AM JUAN
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers