Draft Philosophy for my league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Philosophy for my league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Philosophy for my league

Postby Farkin03 » Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:38 pm

My league is a 10 team mixed league H2H format. Cats for pitching (worth 1.25 points each) are wins, era, K, whip, saves, and save %. Hitting cats (worth 1 point each) include avg. obp, total bases, runs, HR, RBI, and stolen bases. Not a keeper league. I'm tempted to take pitching early because I have the fifth pick and Schillling or Pedro should be there. Also looking at Zito or Oswalt in round 2. I know most people don't like taking pitching early but with this scoring system, does it make sense?
Farkin03

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby mkoss » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:31 pm

Anyone in one of my leagues ignore this ;)

I'm outside the norm, I like taking some pitchers early. Yes, hitting is more predictable than pitching, but the top 5-10 pitchers are pretty predictable. I bet all of us would come up with approximately the same predictions for Johnson, Schilling, Maddux, Oswalt, Mussina, etc. So while everyone else is loading up on hitters, I like to get at least two, hopefully three, top pitchers who I can count on.

To answer your question, I think going with a pitcher or two early is wise.
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Home Cafe: Baseball

well

Postby rjforlife » Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:52 pm

if you can get oswalt or zito in the second....snag them. doesnt matter if you already have a pitcher. early on you must take the best available player, and zito or oswalt will almost assuredly be the best player(s) available. schilling and oswalt will get you well on your way to dominating week in and week out in all pitching catergories except for saves and maybe you will just have to have a few good hitters slip to enviable draft positions for you. take the 2 pitchers and dont look back.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

go with the pitching

Postby gypsyspot » Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:28 pm

with the pitching categories being worth 1.25 definetely do not hesitate to take another pitcher in the second. There are plenty of .300 average, 30 HR, 100 RBI and runs guys out there, and will still be there in the third.
I know the future!!!!!!!
gypsyspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers