Wikipedia is amazing - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Wikipedia is amazing

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wikipedia is amazing

Postby in10s » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:46 am

Listening to Mike and Mike this morning, around 9:15 or so and found out from Peter Gammons that he is a decendent of Revolutionary War hero Ethan Allen. Went on the web around 9:35 to see what I could find, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gammons already has this:
In an appearance on ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike in the Monrning on March 2, 2007, Peter revealed that his great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was Ethan Allen, one of the founders of his native state of Vermont.

Wikipedia is amazing! My favorite tool on the web.
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wikipedia is amazing

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:52 am

in10s wrote:Listening to Mike and Mike this morning, around 9:15 or so and found out from Peter Gammons that he is a decendent of Revolutionary War hero Ethan Allen. Went on the web around 9:35 to see what I could find, and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gammons already has this:
In an appearance on ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike in the Monrning on March 2, 2007, Peter revealed that his great-great-great-great-great-grandfather was Ethan Allen, one of the founders of his native state of Vermont.

Wikipedia is amazing! My favorite tool on the web.

You're right, Wikipedia is amazing and I will defend it to the death! ;-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Old_Style » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:56 am

I was listening to it as well. Not too shabby on wiki's part.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:28 am

Is it just me, or is that too many generations?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:42 am

sox 06 wrote:I use it all the time for research, my teachers mad because they all hate it but I don't care. ;-D

You know it's people just like you and me that keep Wikipedia updated, right? That's like quoting something one of us posted here and treating it as the gospel truth in one of your school reports.

I'm sure it drives teachers bonkers to see stuff like that in your bibliographies.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:51 am

Simulacrum wrote:
sox 06 wrote:I use it all the time for research, my teachers mad because they all hate it but I don't care. ;-D

You know it's people just like you and me that keep Wikipedia updated, right? That's like quoting something one of us posted here and treating it as the gospel truth in one of your school reports.

I'm sure it drives teachers bonkers to see stuff like that in your bibliographies.

Yeah, citing Wikipedia as a source isn't cool. I will argue that the vast majority of people contributing to Wikipedia are pretty serious about it, and it might not be a bad starting place to find reliable sources... but in and of itself, Wikipedia isn't a source so much as it's a guide.

You'll notice that there is a very large and dedicated members of the Wikipedia community who are charged with checking the validity and appropriateness of articles. Although it's too large to be everywhere at once, in many cases Wikipedia is as reliable as Brtiannica, the gold standard in enclyopedic research.

My Librarian girlfriend wants to hate Wikipedia so much because it threatens the very concept of her profession, but even she admits for looking up random things quickly and casually, it's pretty useful.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:51 am

You shouldn't use wikipedia as a source. For all you know someone just made something up and posted it on wikipedia. then cited fake sources.

Heck you write anything you want on there, then cite it as your own words as a source.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:08 pm

It is cool, but I wouldn't use it as a 'final word' source.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk