Video games kill my grades... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Video games kill my grades...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Old_Style » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:28 pm

Simulacrum wrote:Nope, I never saw WarMech, or a T-Rex in the desert. Disappointing.

FF1, 2, and 3 were some of my favorite games as a kid. I'd really like to go back and beat 2 and 3 now, but those games are huge.

I played FF7 for a few hours and gave up.. I'd really like to try one of the newer ones. How many of the others have you played, Dan?

You hardly scratched the surface on that one. FF7 took me about 50 hours to complete, definitely worth playing it through though.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyanK » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:44 pm

My grades are already horrible and i dont have a video game counsel..... im gonna go get a 360 soon though because guitar heros coming out on it.

My grades suffer because I play too much poker...
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:18 pm

Simulacrum wrote:Nope, I never saw WarMech, or a T-Rex in the desert. Disappointing.

FF1, 2, and 3 were some of my favorite games as a kid. I'd really like to go back and beat 2 and 3 now, but those games are huge.

I played FF7 for a few hours and gave up.. I'd really like to try one of the newer ones. How many of the others have you played, Dan?

i saw Warmech when i was a kid

i beat 1, got to the last guy on 2 and played some of 3

played 7 for PC but only got about 1/2 way through. played 8 for PS2 and it was pretty good but again stopped about 1/2 way through

12 is awesome, but some purists dont like it. they've done away with random battles so now you can see all enemies and run from them if you wish. it's still turn-based battles though, and you can set up "gambits" so you dont have to keep hitting the same commands (i.e. auto Cure if players HP falls below 50%, attack closest enemy, etc)

you also have alot of freedom to customize each characters spells, weapons, abilities, but it ends up that for ease you end up giving alot of them the same stuff

i'm probably 85% done with the game, but there are alot of side quests and hunts i can still do. i guess there is one random hunt where the monster has 50,000,000 HP and literally takes around 5 hours to kill (although you can leave and save). the record is a 56 minute kill :-°

anyway, i'd highly reccommend FFXII, i've really enjoyed it and if my wife will let me i'll probably buy a PS3 just to be able to play FFXIII
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby decoy562 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Simulacrum wrote:Ignore the studying, or whatever task is at hand. Focus on the video game.

What game are you hung up on at the moment? I get hung up on the stupidest games, and I can't quit until I've completely beaten them, in the best way possible.

Last month, it was Final Fantasy 1 for NES.

Now it's Castlevania: Curse of Darkness for X-Box. I'm totally hooked.

Man...Final Fantasy 1...that took me like a year and a half to beat that game when I was a kid :-D
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Old_Style » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:58 pm

decoy562 wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:Ignore the studying, or whatever task is at hand. Focus on the video game.

What game are you hung up on at the moment? I get hung up on the stupidest games, and I can't quit until I've completely beaten them, in the best way possible.

Last month, it was Final Fantasy 1 for NES.

Now it's Castlevania: Curse of Darkness for X-Box. I'm totally hooked.

Man...Final Fantasy 1...that took me like a year and a half to beat that game when I was a kid :-D

I found a copy of FF at a thrift store for $3 a few years back.
One of the greatest thrift store finds ever. ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Half Massed » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:44 pm

I try to avoid role-playing or similar games when I've got a lot of work to do or work coming up. If you play a sports game, you can play one game then get back to study. Having a set end during a game is really helpful for not losing track of time. That's why I've been playing a lot of NCAA football instead of something more time consuming.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby ironman » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:59 pm

Whoever suggested getting out of room to study is right on the money. If I actually left and went somewhere else, free of distractions I did better.

Thing is, I always stayed up until 2-3am every night anyway, so getting some studying in at like 8pm was no biggie. Get it done and then waste away in front of the tv.

When I was in the dorms we either played euchre or N64. The two biggest games were Goldeneye and MarioKart. We used to have Goldeneye tournaments. Generally there was always a game of it going on our floor. Four players, whoever gets fourth is out and a new guy jumps in. We'd always get into arguments because some liked to play "License to Kill" (One shot and you're dead) while others didn't. Also we'd always get pissed at the one guy that couldn't play with the default settings and had to go in and redo his controls so his aim wasn't inverse or whatever.

MarioKart was and still is the greatest video drinking game ever created. We would play Drunken Kart before heading to the bars. Four players, third place chugged half a beer, fourth chugged a whole beer.

We had a few other games too. We were into a big Tetris phase on NES as well as the original Tecmo Bowl.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:26 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:

i saw Warmech when i was a kid

i beat 1, got to the last guy on 2 and played some of 3

played 7 for PC but only got about 1/2 way through. played 8 for PS2 and it was pretty good but again stopped about 1/2 way through

12 is awesome, but some purists dont like it. they've done away with random battles so now you can see all enemies and run from them if you wish. it's still turn-based battles though, and you can set up "gambits" so you dont have to keep hitting the same commands (i.e. auto Cure if players HP falls below 50%, attack closest enemy, etc)

you also have alot of freedom to customize each characters spells, weapons, abilities, but it ends up that for ease you end up giving alot of them the same stuff

i'm probably 85% done with the game, but there are alot of side quests and hunts i can still do. i guess there is one random hunt where the monster has 50,000,000 HP and literally takes around 5 hours to kill (although you can leave and save). the record is a 56 minute kill :-°

anyway, i'd highly reccommend FFXII, i've really enjoyed it and if my wife will let me i'll probably buy a PS3 just to be able to play FFXIII

Wow, FF12 sounds awesome. :-L I like how they went away from the random enemy encounters, makes it more realistic that way.

That's the kind of game I need to stay away from. The side quests and the puzzles consume me. I feel compelled to beat every aspect of every game 100%, with massively leveled-up characters. All secret items must be found, all secret areas unlocked.

My friends are the opposite end of the spectrum- sports games and first person shooters are all they ever want to play. They bore me to tears. In truth, I'd much rather be playing a Zelda, some form of RPG, a Mario game, or a Resident Evil game. It doesn't matter how many times I've beaten it if I haven't beaten it on the hardest mode and gotten 100%. X-I

Games like the Elder Scrolls IV terrify me because I could lose a year of my life. I think Ogre Battle for SNES will be the next one I revisit after this Castlevania fever passes over me. :-D

Props to Old_Spice on finding FF1 for only $3 8-o . Great find! Cafeful though, because those classic Nintendo cartridges, both NES and SNES, lose the save ability over time. I have FFII on SNES, and I can't play it again because eventually it will boot the save from the cartridge and you're screwed. :-C
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby RynMan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:55 pm

ironman wrote:Whoever suggested getting out of room to study is right on the money. If I actually left and went somewhere else, free of distractions I did better.

Thing is, I always stayed up until 2-3am every night anyway, so getting some studying in at like 8pm was no biggie. Get it done and then waste away in front of the tv.

When I was in the dorms we either played euchre or N64. The two biggest games were Goldeneye and MarioKart. We used to have Goldeneye tournaments. Generally there was always a game of it going on our floor. Four players, whoever gets fourth is out and a new guy jumps in. We'd always get into arguments because some liked to play "License to Kill" (One shot and you're dead) while others didn't. Also we'd always get pissed at the one guy that couldn't play with the default settings and had to go in and redo his controls so his aim wasn't inverse or whatever.

MarioKart was and still is the greatest video drinking game ever created. We would play Drunken Kart before heading to the bars. Four players, third place chugged half a beer, fourth chugged a whole beer.

We had a few other games too. We were into a big Tetris phase on NES as well as the original Tecmo Bowl.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'm killing myself by studying in my room. Mariokart was awesome.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:58 pm

I played FFIII the whole way through on SNES. I thought it was the coolest, most awesome game ever. By the time I tried out FF7 on PlayStation, it was too much going on for me.

Oh, and Earthbound. That was awesome too. ;-D
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk