Need some good music... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Need some good music...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:21 am

Mogwai are pretty cool and different. Some UK journalists have referred to them as Punk Floyd. Very cinematic music. It is mostly instrumental but pretty cool stuff.

I would recommend 'Young Team' to start out. 'My Father My King' is also pretty cool, a 4000 year old Jewish Hymn some producer turned them onto that they turned into a 20 minute jam that goes from soft to POUNDING in a very engaging manner. It makes you think.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Train » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:40 am

Since you are a young'un compared to me, you probably won't like my choices, but I would go for Fleetwood Mac (the entire "Rumours" album), Queen, Roy Orbison, The Doobie Brothers, Elton John (the old stuff!), Led Zeppelin, and The Eagles. Rush is my favourite. More recent stuff: I like Nickelback and The Tragically Hip. And, btw, congrats on #18. ;-D
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:00 am

hey now, watch it w/ the young'un stuff, I'm as old as Vinny Castilla 8-o eeek... :-D

I would also suggest the Replacements' 'Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash' album. It never gained as much popularity as Tim/ Let it Be but has some great energy that I don't get as much of in their later stuff. Some intriguing guitar antics by Bob as well, before he got out there. That was Alt rock BEFORE it was 'college rock' in the mid 80s
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Old_Style » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:03 am

The Big Train wrote:Since you are a young'un compared to me, you probably won't like my choices, but I would go for Fleetwood Mac (the entire "Rumours" album), Queen, Roy Orbison, The Doobie Brothers, Elton John (the old stuff!), Led Zeppelin, and The Eagles. Rush is my favourite. More recent stuff: I like Nickelback and The Tragically Hip. And, btw, congrats on #18. ;-D

;-D Being 20 years old, I still listen to most of the bands you listed. So it wouldn't surprise me.

A few albums to consider...

The Clash - London Calling
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Led Zeppelin - Any of their first four albums
Blow Soundtrack

Throw in some Skynard, CCR, Dylan, and some Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:10 pm

Skillet- Comatose CD ;-D ;-D ;-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:36 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:Mogwai are pretty cool and different. Some UK journalists have referred to them as Punk Floyd. Very cinematic music. It is mostly instrumental but pretty cool stuff.

I would recommend 'Young Team' to start out. 'My Father My King' is also pretty cool, a 4000 year old Jewish Hymn some producer turned them onto that they turned into a 20 minute jam that goes from soft to POUNDING in a very engaging manner. It makes you think.

Wow, another Mogwai fan! Glad to see it! ;-D ;-D

My favorite album of theirs is probably Happy Songs (f)or Happy People, but I haven't heard Young Team yet.

To an alt-rock fan I would recommend Aereogramme- A Story in White, or Seclusion. Those albums have got something for everyone. Might also want to try Pinback- Summer in Abagnon for more indie/alt delight.

I'm also another huge non-pothead fan of Pink Floyd.

If you ever decide to change your mind about the heavy stuff, try Neurosis. B-)
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:50 pm

Guns N' Roses - Estranged
Guns N' Roses - There Was A Time
Last edited by teddy ballgame on Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:52 pm

Teddy, what bands do you like besides G n R?

You can not use G n R or any of their side projects in your list. I'm really curious.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:56 pm

I like a lot of classic rock. Love Pink Floyd. I listened to them exclusively for like 3 months. Rolling Stones, Beatles, Bob Dylan, Queen, Grateful Dead are some of my other favorites.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:24 pm

All great bands. Glad to hear you're more musically well-rounded than you present yourself. ;-D
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk