salary cap/contracts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

salary cap/contracts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

salary cap/contracts

Postby bflan0524 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:42 pm

hello, first year trying to start an in depth league with salaries, contracts, arbitration etc etc. what is the best site
also once u go through the draft and get your players, how do the contracts work, do you then assign contracts to the players you drafted? are they maxed out so you basically cant lock up your best player forever? any help would be great
bflan0524
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:38 am

My only definitive piece of advice is that you really want to create a system that forces owners to have to drop good players each of the first three years. If you don't, everyone will lock up their top 6-8 players for 3-4 years. As a result, the market will be dry for 2-3 years, then it will suddenly have an influx of good players that were signed when you created the league.

What I did to start my league was to hold a draft. Contracts were based on where you drafted the player. The first person a team took was their franchise player. The second person was put in the last year of a five-year deal. The third person was put in the last year of a four-year deal. The fourth person taken was put in the third year of a four-year deal. The rest of the draft staggered down from there: 3/3, 2/3, 2/2, 1/2, and then 1/1 for the remainder of the draft.

We allow one franchise player and extensions up to the fifth year, so of the players taken first and second for each team, only one could be retained at the end of the year. The following season, the players taken in the third round would probably end up being dropped, and so forth down the line. In that way, I sort of "seeded" future auctions by making it hard for owners to keep players they drafted early (or the good ones).

This system works for us because we base our cap on the total years of the contract. So that five-year deal costs five years against the cap, for instance. If you use a salary cap, I suggest a combination of the staggered contracts and a rising cost each of the years under contract structured in a manner that would make it prohibitive to keep one player for a long time.

Remember: Much of the fun of fantasy baseball is in the pre-season drafts/auctions. If there are no good players to be drafted/signed, it lessens the enjoyment of the league.

Good luck! ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:44 am

Oh, and to answer your other questions, we use FanStar for our site. The site isn't the greatest, but it's pretty flexible. I've managed to bend a lot of stuff they offer to fit the needs of my rather complex contract league.

Also, if you want to do an auction to start with, simply max out the number of contracts that can be assigned at each length. For instance, they can give one five-year contract, two four-year, three three-year, etc. That's the easiest way to do it.

Whatever you do, don't try to mix contract length into the auction process. That ball of wax is way too much to take on in a fantasy league. If you're that hardcore, I recommend playing a sim league with some software, like OOTP or something.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bflan0524 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

thanks, great help
anybody else u any sites like fantasybaseballcommish, or cbs
any other ideas

thanks
bflan0524
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Lenny6 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:34 pm

I was curious about how other leagues handle contracts & salaries as well. I agree that the auction is more interesting when there is talent flowing back through each season so we limit the number of times any player can be kept to 3 (so you can have a player for 4 seasons max) before his contract expires. The salary increases in our league are quite modest: $2 or 10% (rounded up to the nearest dollar). This format is nice in that it really prevents any team from creating a dynasty by collecting a lot of cheap talent.

If I had to do it all over again I would probably scratch the contract lengths and have the salary increases get progressively bigger as time went on: ($2 or 10% the first year, $3 or 15% the second, $4 or 20% the third, etc.). It would require more bookkeeping, but then the decision to keep a player or not is soley up to each manager. The downside is that it could be 7-8 years before a minimum priced rookie phenom would be thrown back.

Here's an example:
Player A is won at auction for $15. The next season his salary becomes $17. The third season he costs $20. The fourth goes to $24. The fifth season the salary jumps to $30 (25% was more than $5). The sixth year bumps to $39 (30% > $6).
Lenny6
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 42)

Return to Commissioner's Corner