Need Guitar Help -- Anyone here play? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Need Guitar Help -- Anyone here play?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need Guitar Help -- Anyone here play?

Postby Yilun » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:26 pm

Have a question:

I've been recently playing a song by Andy Mckee - For My Father.

You can check it out here if you want:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=T4Igb5Yors4

It's tuned kind of weird. The 2nd thickest string is tuned 1.5 steps higher to a C.

Now, I've heard some mixed feedback about doing that.

1) Don't leave that string tuned high for too long because it will damage your guitar neck -- essentially causing it to warp.

2) Leave it tuned high because constant tuning is bad for the string and may cause snappage alot earlier (shorter string life span).

So I was wondering, since it's just that one string that I'm tuning high (all others low) -- is it alright for me to leave that string tuned high? Will it really cause warpage? I suppose it's a tradeoff between constantly tuning ur guitar vs leaving it tuned high and risk neck warpage.

Anyone out there who is an expert on guitars can enlighten me on what I should do?

I really hate to tune it back and forth every time I decide to play and I'm too lazy to constantly restring my guitars if the string does indeed snap. :-°
Yilun
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Mugrila » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:37 pm

Interesting first post, and I have to say I'm not 100% sure. I always just leave mine in standard tuning and tune accordingly based on the song. With a chromatic tuner it takes like a min. to switch and you know you're at the right pitch so I don't really mind.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby statsman88 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:39 pm

Mugrila wrote:Interesting first post, and I have to say I'm not 100% sure. I always just leave mine in standard tuning and tune accordingly based on the song. With a chromatic tuner it takes like a min. to switch and you know you're at the right pitch so I don't really mind.

He's a regular over on the basketball side, but I told him he'd probably get a better response over here
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mugrila » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:42 pm

statsman88 wrote:
Mugrila wrote:Interesting first post, and I have to say I'm not 100% sure. I always just leave mine in standard tuning and tune accordingly based on the song. With a chromatic tuner it takes like a min. to switch and you know you're at the right pitch so I don't really mind.

He's a regular over on the basketball side, but I told him he'd probably get a better response over here

Gotcha. ;-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Yilun » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:47 pm

And call me paranoid (or maybe now i'm just finally noticing?) but the top part of my neck seems kinda crescent shape to begin with. I hope it's not because there is warpage happening already!! :-o :-o

Anyways, I'm thinking if I had ALL my strings tuned high -- then I can see how warpage may occur. However, with just 1 string tuned 1.5 steps higher <-- is that really enough to warp my guitar neck?

And even so -- I would assume basic physics would imply that it should only warp to a certain degree and stop correct?
Yilun
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Mugrila » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:11 am

I would play it safe and tune it. The effect will vary depending on how nice the guitar is. If it's a not-so-nice guitar it'll be more susceptible to warping over a long period of time, just like with temperature. So leaving it tuned up will just add to the other things that wear on it.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yilun » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:40 pm

bump -- any other opinions? ;-D
Yilun
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:09 pm

You are not going to warp your guitar in a short period time. You should be fine leaving it tuned like that.

Necks take a huge huge amount of pressure. You will be fine. I'd worry about humidity more then tuning pressure.

I've been playing for 13 years
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby statsman88 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:21 pm

acsguitar wrote:You are not going to warp your guitar in a short period time. You should be fine leaving it tuned like that.

Necks take a huge huge amount of pressure. You will be fine. I'd worry about humidity more then tuning pressure.

I've been playing for 13 years

You have a couple vids on youtube don't you? Could you hook me up with a link? I play guitar as well and like watching other players
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:38 pm

Yeah 1.5 steps is nothing. I usually leave mine tuned in Eb, which is only .5 steps but not a big deal at all.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk