First time playing in a keeper league...any advice/strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

First time playing in a keeper league...any advice/strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First time playing in a keeper league...any advice/strategy?

Postby DisBeAliG » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:43 pm

Hey guys,
After playing fantasy for 4 yrs, this is my first crack at returning to my league with my 5 keepers from last yr. I tried to draft knowing I would have players coming back and with some mid-season trades I was able to put together a pretty solid roster and won the league. Now I will have Pujols, Beltran and Crawford as my offensive players and Sheets and Felix as my pitchers.
At this point, I'm wondering if there are any pointers from those of you who have participated in keeper leagues. I'm wondering if my first priority in the draft should be getting positions I don't have or still drafting the best player available and then trading them down the road? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and here's to a great season for everyone (except for Gary Matthews Jr.) :P
DisBeAliG
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:11 pm

I would suspect that best player would be the way to go. It's not like you'd be at risk to end up like the Cubs, w/ no SS for a year...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby skibum » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:43 pm

Some of this depends on the owners in your league. I am in one league where everyone seems to be in love with their playrs, and trades are almost always rejected. In that case, I am drafting position to a certain extent knowing that it's unlikely I can make a series of post-draft trades to fill my needs.

If it's a free flowing, fast-trading league, go with best player available.
skibum
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:53 am

I would treat it as I would any other draft - but you're starting in Round 6. So, when it comes to your pick, how do you normally draft - best available or position scarcity.

Me personally, if there was a 2nd-3rd round talent sitting there in the 6th round, I'd take the player. But others think more highly of a position scarcity approach than I.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Return to Baseball Leftovers