Obama's Biggest Hurdle: Blacks Not Whites? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Obama's Biggest Hurdle: Blacks Not Whites?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:29 pm

I would be considered as part of the religious right, and I'm not even voting that way this time. I'm looking for someone to shrink government. Give me that, and I'll be able to handle a lot of other things that would normally irritate someone of my bent.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Coppermine » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:37 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I would be considered as part of the religious right, and I'm not even voting that way this time. I'm looking for someone to shrink government. Give me that, and I'll be able to handle a lot of other things that would normally irritate someone of my bent.

That's basically how people should vote; I'd say policy is more important than religious affiliation any day, but there are still a lot of single-issue voters out there, on both sides. But your attitude is basically what's going to shape this election; are people going to make compromises to vote for the best candidate, or are they going to snub someone based on one or two things?
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:39 pm

Did Kerry have any shot at the RR vote? Also, Bush got 93% of the Republican vote in 2004. So IMO this is a myopic view of that election to say that the RR vote put him in office. It's not false but you could take that idea from many different angles and make the statement true.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:43 pm

Amazinz wrote:Did Kerry have any shot at the RR vote? Also, Bush got 93% of the Republican vote in 2004. So IMO this is a myopic view of that election to say that the RR vote put him in office. It's not false but you could take that idea from many different angles and make the statement true.

Man I'm not allowed to talk politics anymore but I agree with Amazinz. The religious right may have won him the vote but you could say that about a lot of different factors.

The lesbian/Gay vote could have won it for kerry
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:07 pm

My students don't know who Edwards is. They don't know who Hillary is (though they like Bill). They love Obama, though.

And kids' political views are heavily informed by their parents.

But, aside from my personal opinion, I think each party will once again nominate the most electable candidate. For the dems right now, that could be either Obama or Edwards. I think Hillary has approximately the same shot as Richardson.

And I think we'd see African-Americans come out in especially large numbers for Hillary or Obama in a general election.

Finally, does anyone think that Obama could get a large part of the hispanic vote? People whose parents or grandparents immigrated may be more likely to identify with him than we'd think. Perhaps we could see a larger latino turnout than in years past.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to General Talk