Obama's Biggest Hurdle: Blacks Not Whites? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Obama's Biggest Hurdle: Blacks Not Whites?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:00 pm

It's going to be extremely difficult for me to decide who to vote for (if anyone) in '08. I haven't really researched Clinton that much yet, though her stance on gun control really turns me off, but there is no way that I can, in good conscience vote for Obama.
Last edited by Art Vandelay on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:09 pm

I can't wait for the debates in May. The trio of Hillary, Obama, and Edwards is very intriguing. I personally would love to see an Obama/Clinton ticket for the big election.

Who is the front runner on the Republican side? Rudy? McCain?
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:16 pm

I believe the polls suggest Giulliani.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:19 pm

Amazinz wrote:I believe the polls suggest Giulliani.

I don't see how Rudy will make it out as teh Republican nomination since a few of his issues tend to counter the cornerstones of Republican voters..
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:30 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
Yoda wrote:Who is the leader right now? Obama? Hilary or Edwards? :-?
I would say Obama is the frontrunner, though it is way, way too early to tell. They're still in the political spring training.

the polls i have seen have clinton leading followed by obama and edwards. clinton's lead is currently growing while support for edwards is dwindling. its early though.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:41 pm

Isn't the rate of black votes way way lower compared to other races due to a plethora of reasons.

Anyways I'm not sure but has the Black community expected a black president to be "Urban" or "Black African" or whatever.

Fortunately or Unfortunately depending on how you look at it the Stereotypical "Black" Person will never ever be elected president.

The black candidate that will win is one that will relate to whites as well as blacks and hispanics.

And trust me White don't want to see a presidential candidate go on and on about "Black" issues.

The fact that blacks, and I'm skeptical on the articles like this as I'm not sure how they poll their data, say they want someone who "acts" black is as bad as a white person saying I don't want a black person in office because he's black.

Now I'm now sociologist but I'd think that many of the people who won't vote for Obama cause he's not "Black" enough are also people who don't vote in general.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:46 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:

I don't see how Rudy will make it out as teh Republican nomination since a few of his issues tend to counter the cornerstones of Republican voters..

I don't think they counter the cornerstones of the Republican vote. It definitely counters the conerstones of the religious right vote, as does McCain, but that vote is still a minority within the Republcan party. Both will definitely have to do some wooing of the social conservatives.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:52 pm

Indeed, but they also suggest that if Gingrich announced he's running, that he'd surge up to where McCain and Rudy are.

Nonetheless, I'm having fun watching/listening to Obama and Clinton take shots at one another daily. I really don't think, after they publicists handle the primaries, either one will have a shot at the White House. And that's good news. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:00 pm

Amazinz wrote:

I don't think they counter the cornerstones of the Republican vote. It definitely counters the conerstones of the religious right vote, as does McCain, but that vote is still a minority within the Republcan party. Both will definitely have to do some wooing of the social conservatives.

I think the religious right is incredibly underestimated among regular daily Republicans. The religious right is single handedly what allowed Bush to steal both elections. If it weren't for that particular vote, neither election would have been close enough to steal no matter how corrupt some of the system officials may have been.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:24 pm

Amazinz wrote:

I think the religious right is incredibly underestimated among regular daily Republicans. The religious right is single handedly what allowed Bush to steal both elections. If it weren't for that particular vote, neither election would have been close enough to steal no matter how corrupt some of the system officials may have been.

Agreed, Bush won the last two election based on the evangelical vote. That's huge and arguably, without it, you can't win the south. Rudy and McCain both have a huge following, but not so much with evangelicals. Yet, the conservative, evangelical candidate is Mitt Romney, a Morman. The religious right will have a dilemma; most of them would never vote for McCain because of past criticisms, or Romney because he's not what evangelicals consider "Christian." Rudy might be their only fall back, but he's been involved in an affair himself.

The entire primary season is going to be very interesting, from both sides.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk