A pet peeve about about Japanese players!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

A pet peeve about about Japanese players!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:55 pm

wrveres wrote:
Agreed, Maybe the MLB could work out a gate revenue deal with the other organizations to help offse the costs, in time it could actually be a source of revenue. I think minor league MLB would just explode in South America, especially if the talent was homegrown and they had they "Chance" to play in the show..

Huge amount of revenue... Huge... Hopefully the next Commish will see this market.

In South America is where this plan would have the most opportunity to work.....and I agree, on a limited scale, could very well be a source of revenue.....but in the other countries is where the problems would come in.....a gate revenue deal could be seen by those countries as taking money out of their pockets and giving it to "Big Brother"...(as you know, our foriegn relations are not the best right now.... :-/ ).....Asia and Australia is where I see the most problems coming in...although, I think that Europe would be a tuff bet too....

A player development league in SA could definately work....and I also hope the next commish will pursue this avenue.... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Erboes » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:06 pm

I must dissent on this world-wide draft idea. Alls it does is protect those teams that refuse to invest in their minor league systems. Screw the Boston's of the league who let their systems go to rot. As for those teams that cry about "revenue streams" let them model themselves after Montreal of yester-year and the Indians of today (2nd in the majors in spending for their minor league system next to the Yankees). Boston, LA, the Mets -- all big revenue producers, right? And their minor league talent stinks. Stop throwing money around on stiffs and you can build a winner no matter where you are at.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Arlo » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:04 am

Erboes wrote:Boston, LA, the Mets -- all big revenue producers, right? And their minor league talent stinks.

I'm not sure why folks are so down on the Mets' system - maybe it's because Norfolk and Binghampton finished the year with sub-.500 records. But in terms of potential impact players, their system is in better shape than most, even after the callups of players like Reyes or Phillips...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:08 am

wrveres wrote:Yes a world wide draft is well overdue ;-D

First, you'd have to fix the draft system we have now. If signing bonuses and other financial considerations can keep a team from picking Mark Prior, that problem would only be amplified when drafting international veterans.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:20 am

Arlo wrote:

First, you'd have to fix the draft system we have now. If signing bonuses and other financial considerations can keep a team from picking Mark Prior, that problem would only be amplified when drafting international veterans.

That's a good point. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:14 pm

Arlo wrote:

true ..... I have recently changed my ... WWW below to "reflect" upon when this all really started.

Anybody want to guess the agent involved?

But many teams are starting to invest in the Minors vs Free Agents and hoping to grow from within, just like they used to.

I also think that expanding the player pool, will also hold down salaries across the board, both Major and Minor leagues. Many teams now have 6 Minor League Affiliates, so expanding that by a couple couldn't be that hard.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Postby LCBOY » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:18 pm

Arlo wrote:

There needs to be a set salary structure. First rounders get x amount of dollars, second rounders get y amount of dollars, etc. What is so hard about having foreign players apply for the June draft? If Little Matusi wants to go to the majors he should apply for the June draft. What's so hard about that?
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby M_Zimm » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:29 pm

I agree. I don't even care as much about the monor league systems in other countries, but if a guy is coming into the US and can win rookie of the year honors they should have to get in the same way peopl born and raised in th US have to.
M_Zimm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Arlo » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:39 pm

LCBOY wrote:
Arlo wrote:

There needs to be a set salary structure. First rounders get x amount of dollars, second rounders get y amount of dollars, etc. What is so hard about having foreign players apply for the June draft? If Little Matusi wants to go to the majors he should apply for the June draft. What's so hard about that?

Simply the fact that Japanese teams wouldn't be bound by that structure. Very few players of Matsui's caliber would - understandably - be willing to take a huge pay cut to come to the majors.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LCBOY » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:37 pm

Arlo wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
Arlo wrote:

Simply the fact that Japanese teams wouldn't be bound by that structure. Very few players of Matsui's caliber would - understandably - be willing to take a huge pay cut to come to the majors.

Like I said, let the greedy bastard stay home then!

Seriously, though, if they want to play in the majors then they should have to earn the big salaries they want. Most experts place the quality of play in Japan roughly at the level of Triple-A. Nobody pays a rookie called up from Triple-A millions of dollars. They have to earn it. Of course one day MLB may swallow up the Japanese leagues. I can see a few major league teams in Japan say by 2020. Once a supersonic airliner is created it would make the trip much easier.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers