My H2H Keeper league wants to do a little shaking up w/stats - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

My H2H Keeper league wants to do a little shaking up w/stats

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My H2H Keeper league wants to do a little shaking up w/stats

Postby biffy44 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:08 pm

Hello all.
We've had our league for about 7 years now. We are in the process of changing some rules up.

The big thing is we all want IP to not be a pitching category. We all can't stand it. BUT we are having trouble replacing it with something. Heres some background.

We have a 6x6 structure, pitching is W Sv K WHIP ERA and the dreade IP. We have weekly changes due every Sunday night.
We start 9 pitchers 5 SP and 4 RP.

We are kind of split down the middle of bringing in holds because it will almost be a swap, some teams will focus on holds and some on saves with our current structure.

I've seen leagues with holds, K/9, k/BB, QS, CG.
I don't have any background in these structures.

Any recommendations you might have would be greatly appreciated. Also any experience you have with the stats above, would also be great.
Just so you know we also have usual 5x5 with OBA for hitters.

Any thought??
biffy44
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:22 pm

You have a few decent options. First you have the K/BB and K/9. Both of these are good stats but as a personal preference I don't like having them at the same time as K's; it just seems repetitive to me, but I've seen other leagues do it. You could also just add BB's since you already have K's. A few more options are adding L's since you have wins, or going with a Holds category for middle relievers.

Personally I would add BBs. Loses are pretty much luck and, as I already said, I don't like having K/BB or K/9 at the same time as plain old K's. I'm also not a fan of Holds. All of these options are worth discussing with your league mates though.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby luckygehrig » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:26 pm

My old league wanted to do some crazy stats so we added a bunch last year. We had the standard 5, plus holds, K/9, and CG. I would personally just add holds into your league. Holds bring in a whole extra group of players (middle relievers who wouldn't get drafted otherwise because they don't get saves), and it adds some real strategy as to how you want to break down your RP. Complete games were a disaster last year. There were several weeks where everything was all tied up and somebody won on Sunday because their guy went the distance. CG's are really a crapshoot. They happen so infrequently for most pitchers that some teams would go weeks at a time without getting one. I like to have stats that are used every week and there is a strategy in drafting for them. K/9 were heavily favored for the big strikeout relievers. It was a decent stat, but even if your starting pitcher went out and struck out 8 in 7 innings worth of work, an RP who got a couple K's in an inning would blow his stats away. I think that the K stat takes care of the entire strikeout category.

So, in summary, I prefer holds out of all the stats that you are considering adding.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Trojan Pony » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:48 pm

I've been in this same dilemma before. In short, K/BB is the best. K/9 is too close to K's and the guys who rack up a lot of strikeouts also do well in K/9...too much correlation there. K/BB is nice because it increases the value of control pitchers...average K guys who rarely walk batters get a boost from K/BB and high K guys who also walk a lot get hurt by it. It's also nice because it involves middle relievers a bit more as many of them have excellent K/BB stats. But it doesn't involve MR's as much as Holds, which I think is a good thing. Because while closers might just be for saves at least there's a solid 20 or so closers you can look to for saves on a pretty consistent basis. There's only a small handful of reliable Holds guys and the rest often change from week to week or month to month. You'll pick up a guy with 5 holds in the past week and then he'll get 2 in two weeks...much more of a crapshoot than closers...I don't think MR's are worth getting their own category to themselves. So yeah, K/BB is what I'd go with.

And I actually have a question for you... I'm using ESPN for the first time for a league that I'm running. I don't understand why there isn't an option to set an innings minimum but there isn't. So to counter that I made IP's a sixth category (and OBP for batting), for now anyway. But you say you whole league hates IP's. Could you please elaborate so that I can reconsider for my own league? Thanks.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby biffy44 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:40 pm

Thanks for the insight guys. Keep them coming.
I have a GM meeting Sunday so we are all getting together for some Beers, Baseball, and Bull Pooping

I am going to bring all the advice I get here.

TROJAN--I can't speak for the rest of my league, but I hate IP for a few reasons. While some of these reasons are minimal, I am just a cranky bitch sometimes.
I just see it as a stupid stat...In my eyes its like counting AB's for Hitters.
You load up on Double Starts that week.
How screwed you get by rain delays, and crap like that. I know Rain is part of the game, but I see IP as an automatic stat. You know, so what if Bonderman pitched in 200 plus innings. The only thing that it tells me is watch out he's young and threw in 200+ Innings.
It's tough to explain now that I re-read my post.... I'm done explaining.. I just don't like it!!!
Hope that helps a little??
biffy44
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Return to Commissioner's Corner