Please tear apart my Points-based scoring settings! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Please tear apart my Points-based scoring settings!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please tear apart my Points-based scoring settings!

Postby Crippler » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:42 pm

This is my first time as commish and i'm starting a Points-based Yahoo league. I'd like the player values to be similar to those in Roto-leagues, though I would also like Pitchers to be slightly less valued.

Please feel free to make suggestions about my point values as well as my categories. Thanks for your help in advance! B-)

Stat Categories: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, IP, W, L, SV, H, ER, BB, K

Stat Modifiers:
R (1)
1B (.50)
2B (1)
3B (2)
HR (4)
RBI (1)
SB (2)
BB (.25)

IP (1)
W (4)
L (0)
SV (4)
H (-.25)
ER (-1)
BB (-.25)
K (1)

Would this point system cause any players to be very under/over valued?
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lenny6 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:20 pm

Power hitters are going to be kings in this league as a home run is worth 8 times as much as a base hit (12 times if you tack on the R + RBI a HR also produces).

From a pitching perspective, something doesn't sit right with me when a strikeout is as valuable as preventing an earned run from being scored.
Lenny6
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crippler » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:20 pm

Thanks for the input!

Should I change HRs to be worth 3? That might balance it out a little bit.

As for the K & Earned Runs points, I just took that from the default Yahoo scoring. Should that be changed to +.50 per strikeout, and raise the points for SV and W?
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lenny6 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:52 pm

It's all personal preference. Myself, I prefer ro keep the point focus on events that the players have direct control over rather than "team stats" (wins, saves and even runs + rbis to an extent). Here is my league's scoring (CBS H2H):

Batters:
TB, R, RBI, BB, SB, HBP +1
K -0.5
GDP -1

Pitchers:
IP +3
H -0.5
ER -2
BB, HBP -1
K +1
W +3
SV +5.5
HLD +2.5

What's nice about this scoring is that players score roughly the same points as pitchers (a whole season from Pujols last year would've put him at about 700 points while Johan Santana scored 715 as the top pitcher). The above system rewards players with high SLG pcts and pitchers who throw a lot of innings and rack up K's (Aaron Harang was the #6 pitcher last season, which might be higher than some other systems would place him). I suggest whatever scoring you come up with that you score out some players and make sure that the rankings look like what you'd expect and then you'd definitely be able to tell where players are under or over-valued.
Lenny6
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 20)

Postby deghumacao » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:00 am

I have been playing in a points-based league for 6 yrs now...this is what we use...1b=1.. 2b=2.. 3b=3.. hr=4.. sb=2.. cs=-1..bb=1 gidp=-1..k=-1..e=-1...run=1..rbi=1..pitching cats go something like this.....out=1...k=1...hit=-1..bb=-1..hb=-1...er=-2...win=10...loss=-5....cg=10...cgshutout=5...saves=10...and so on..I might have omitted some cats but I think u get the picture....In this format pitchers are GOLD...Pujols is still Pujols but great pitching is more valuable than great hitting...we like it this way because most of us in our league believe that great pitching will most of the times beat great hitting.
deghumacao
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)

Postby tms298 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:49 pm

The best way to test is to determine how many points each player would have earned over last year. If you see something strange like all power at the top/all speed at the top/no pitchers near the top/all relievers at the top etc., then you know you need to modify something.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Commissioner's Corner