Rotohog.com - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Classifieds

Rotohog.com

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:45 pm

TheRock wrote:That was a question I had that I hadn't found the answer to yet, is there any limit to buying and selling? A transaction fee? If there's not then I guess it doesn't much matter who you draft, you can just trade for whoever you want when the season starts.

From how I understand it, some players may not be available. There is only one group of players in the MLB universe for every 12 teams. I'm not sure how that will effect the Supply/Demand or if I just have it all backwards...but...that's how I get it. So if people are trying to buy up player X at will, his price will fly through the roof, but at some point he will no longer be available until someone sells him.

Well I just had my draft and left 5.50 on the table. :-o

The way I figure it in my mind, it could be worse, because when the trading floor opens I can simply pump that back into the $25 extra they gave me for those 3 extra bench spots....and I'm correct with that assumption??

My real draft went nothing like my practice drafts, all of the guys I had been targeting went while I was busy drafting other people so I had to draft some backup options and ended up with picks like Iannetta at catcher instead of Piazza but Pujols at first instead of Teix. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:01 pm

So pokerplaya and I just drafted and learned some things. Like don't draft with each other. :~( Any untaken spots are filled with computer players that just randomly take players. I'm thinking as the season draws near the drafts will start filling up so might be best to go ahead and get 'er done.

I think you have to strive for a blend. Sure there are some bargains out there, but the name of the game is to score points. So you have to get some guys who will put up some points. To that end, I took Pronk with my first pick. Dude will put up about 1200 points this year, at $10 less than anyone else in that range.

But you also need to score some values. Pokerplaya kept stealing all my bargains including Kendrick so I had to spend a bit more on some positions than I wanted. Hopefully when the trading floor opens I can get some of them at reasonable prices.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:09 pm

Yeah, we definitely ran into some issues.... :-o

I ended up drafting trash like Beckett for $20 bucks, but I don't intend to hold onto him for long, so I guess it really isn't the end of the world.

It seems like the draft in this type of format is less important then in any other format, because you can sell and buy players as you deem fit.

I liked getting my good buys, but I really wanted half of TheRock's team, and if he wasn't there, I likely could have done it. :~(
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:39 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Yeah, we definitely ran into some issues.... :-o

It seems like the draft in this type of format is less important then in any other format, because you can sell and buy players as you deem fit.

I liked getting my good buys, but I really wanted half of TheRock's team, and if he wasn't there, I likely could have done it. :~(

I'll be drafting with the 11 guys that invited me to play rotohog. It almost sounds like I'm better off skipping the draft and drafting by myself.

I think the most important part about the draft is that you get guys who will appreciate, which should increase your capital so you can upgrade talent. That's my 'secret' strategy, anyway. :-)
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:39 am

Grouperman941 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Yeah, we definitely ran into some issues.... :-o

I'll be drafting with the 11 guys that invited me to play rotohog. It almost sounds like I'm better off skipping the draft and drafting by myself.

I think the most important part about the draft is that you get guys who will appreciate, which should increase your capital so you can upgrade talent. That's my 'secret' strategy, anyway. :-)

Not too secret, but that is the name of the game, here.

I mean this is really a stock market simulation meets fantasy baseball.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby TheRock » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:29 am

Grouperman941 wrote:I'll be drafting with the 11 guys that invited me to play rotohog. It almost sounds like I'm better off skipping the draft and drafting by myself.

Yes, skip it and draft alone. During work hours on a weekday seems pretty lonely. If you can swing it, do it.

Grouperman941 wrote:I think the most important part about the draft is that you get guys who will appreciate, which should increase your capital so you can upgrade talent. That's my 'secret' strategy, anyway. :-)

We won't tell anyone. ;-)

That's part of it. What really matters in the end is how many points did you score. So you have to get some big producers in your lineup. Use what bargains you can land to clear up cash to spend on some carefully chosen top talent. Or, that's my 'secret' strategy anyway. ;-)
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OaklandAllstar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:06 am

i also have a rotohog.com league. it's called "bassballers funk frenzy". i could use some more managers, especially those who are into the funk!

check it out, you can be in my league and any others with the same team too.
I need more managers for my league. "BassBallers Funk Frenzy" on Rotohog.com
"We've never been in that position. We wouldn't know how to operate, I mean, do we get him a corsage?" -Billy Beane, On a small-market team courting a big-name free agent
OaklandAllstar
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rib217 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:28 pm

If someone wouldnt mind explaining the league format to me a little bit more i would be grateful. My interest has been peaked in this rotohog league for a little while and i am really tempted to jump in. I am in a yahoo league now.
thanks
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OaklandAllstar » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:22 pm

the leagues are similar to what you are used to, in the sense that managers are ranked by how many points they accumulate through picking productive players. different leagues will allow different numbers of managers. you can play in as many leagues as you like with just one team. this is possible due to the stock market like style of play. players are given a price, and as the season goes on their market value will change based upon their production and how the market buys and sells the player. so essentially you can have any players you want in any combination, so long as you can afford them with the given money you have, or earn based on buying/selling players. because anybody can make their ideal team with all of the players, you can be ranked globally, as well as in as many other leagues you chose to be in. the global ranking allows for big cash prize winners. this year first place gets $100,000. does that help rib217?
I need more managers for my league. "BassBallers Funk Frenzy" on Rotohog.com
"We've never been in that position. We wouldn't know how to operate, I mean, do we get him a corsage?" -Billy Beane, On a small-market team courting a big-name free agent
OaklandAllstar
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheRock » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:43 am

Wow, for those of you that didn't notice, the trading floor opened yesterday at 6:00. I was on a plane at the time so didn't get to join in the initial trading frenzy. By the time I got home and was able to check in, Kendrick had soared from his opening price of $1 to over $20. Awesome value for those of you that managed to draft him. All of my players went up except Wheeler, and he should have. I made a few trades last night, there are some players starting to fall through the cracks. Good values if you look for them.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Classifieds