"Poker-style" auctions? Help please! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Classifieds

"Poker-style" auctions? Help please!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"Poker-style" auctions? Help please!

Postby Snax » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:09 pm

I belong to a league that for going on 15 years has held the auctions in person, partly because our auction format is fairly different. Face-to-face is not possible this year, so I am asking for advice on how to automate our format for an online auction. I already checked with FantasyAuctioneer.com, and they can't help us.

In brief:
Your standard auction is "open", where anyone with sufficient funds can bid at anytime. One of my leagues uses rotational or "poker-style" bidding: Owner A nominates a player for auction with an initial bid. Owner B either increases the bid by at least $1 or passes, and so on until each owner has either bid or passed. Once an owner passes, they are out of the bidding for that player.

Once the bidding comes around to the nominating owner, "final" bids become an available option. A "final bid" sets a rate at which any subsequent bids must raise the auction price for that player at a rate equal to or greater than the previous raise. (For example bidding for A-Rod comes back around to Owner A with a price of $30. Owner A then sets a final bid of $35, which means that each subsequent bid must increase by a rate of at least $5) Once an owner's final bid is surpassed, they are out of the bidding for that player. Once the bidding is complete for the player Owner A nominated, Owner B then nominates the next player, and so on around the circle.

Does anyone here have any experience running something like this online? Is there another site that can support it, or would it have to work via instant messenger (conference calls are right out)? Any and all feedback would be welcome.
We crack us up.
Snax
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snax » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:12 am

bump...Bueller?
We crack us up.
Snax
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball