Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby byfrcp » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:33 pm

Anyone think this game seems a little set-up? The lady last night took forever to answer the Mayflower but seemed pretty confident about it after, almost like shes being told to be dumb. And all 5 5th graders knew Johnson was the first Prez impeached?? Come on, are these kids home schooled by parents with PhD's? Not to mention the irony that Jeff Foxworthy is the host.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:39 pm

Yea I think the kids are setup cause they didn't know that Johnson was the first impeached.

I knew that though
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:51 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:See, I have a problem with this show, just as I do with Deal or No Deal. If you're going to win money on a game show, you better have some sort of skill. Pointing at suitcases and being as smart as a 10-year-old are not skills.

Have you really done the math on Deal or No Deal? Odds are not in favor of the player's case holding much (only 7 cases out of 26 having $100,000 or more). It's all odds and percentages on that game, and who can seperate logical thinking from greed.

Good example: 3 cases left ($400,000 - $10,000 - $5). Bank offer is $92,000. What do you do?

If you take it and run, you're shorting yourself $41,333 in pot odds. That's a banker's offer playing on your fear of winding up with zip.

Same scenario: $400,000 - $10,000 - $5 with a bank offer of $150,000. What do you do? You take it. You're almost + $17,000 on the pot odds.

It's fun to watch people not be able to seperate their greed/stupidity from simple math. Some of the chicks are nice on the eyes as well, and Howie is funny. I like the show. B-)

Those would be the exact reasons I watch the show, occasionally. A lot of people love harping on the "point to a case" portion of the show, but I enjoy figuring the odds, judging what the wise move would be, and can ususally gague what the banker will offer within $1,000 from start to finish, based on what's left on the board. I dunno, I like mathematical mental exercises in that respect, and when they mask it as a television show with some scantly clad babes, well, ain't nothin' wrong with that. Madison couldn't be more right though, that there's much more to the show than people give credit, and it's no surprise that as a big poker player, he enjoys figuring odds, etc. as much as I do. :-D

No, I realize that there is more to the show than just point at suitcases. There are hot chicks, and suspenseful pauses. There's a gasping studio audience, a mystery man called "the banker" (ooooo!) and Howie Mandel's "soul patch."

Now, I can appreciate the concept of figuring out the odds and such. But, I can't believe that watching other people play poker is entertaining either. I really enjoy poker; playing it. And I can appreciate that showing the tournaments on TV can help people with their strategy, although I still could not personally sit down and watch for more than 5 minutes. But I can see how some people are really into poker and would enjoy it.

But Deal or No Deal? Unless I'm on the show winning money, what do I care? If anything, does it have to be on 3 nights a week? Is it good practice for when your friends get together and guess the value of suitcases? And, more than anything, how could this show not have worn out its welcome by now? The Millionaire show was annoying in it's staged suspense and mood-setting music, not to mention Regis' overly bright ties, but at least people had to have some sort of knowledge to win; and even that got old pretty quick.

So, I'm really just riding out the tide of Deal or No Deal... it will fizzle out into the obscurity of Millionaire and Fear Factor; but until then, and regardless of it's odds-guessing merits, I will continue to make fun of it. :-D :-b
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:47 pm

You gotta be kidding me. Which country has the longest border with the U.S. and she says Mexico? I don't care if the kid "saved" her...she doesn't deserve any money. :-t
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:31 am

Wow, supposedly this show got 31 million viewers last night, making it the biggest TV premiere in 8 years for any show... 8-o

I personally thought it was terrible, boring, many of the questions were too trivial, and I didn't like the kids at all (it would be better if they just picked them randomly, instead of getting kids who spend all day and night reading books just to prepare to answer those questions). I'd find that more interesting.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:03 am

Didn't see tonight's and didn't record it. Deal or No Deal was on. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Old_Style » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:55 am

I thought about watching this, but never got around to it. Sounds like I didn't miss too much though.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:43 am

I KNOW that I'm smarter than a 5th grader.

Where's my million dollars???
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ironman » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:45 am

mweir145 wrote:Wow, supposedly this show got 31 million viewers last night, making it the biggest TV premiere in 8 years for any show... 8-o

Yeah, 31 million left their tv's on that channel after American Idol. I'd like to see what the numbers were after 15 minutes into the show.

All 5 5th graders getting Andrew Johnson right seemed a bit suspicious to me as well. How did they learn history when NCLB has them doing nothing but reading and math the entire time?
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:36 am

ironman wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Wow, supposedly this show got 31 million viewers last night, making it the biggest TV premiere in 8 years for any show... 8-o

Yeah, 31 million left their tv's on that channel after American Idol. I'd like to see what the numbers were after 15 minutes into the show.

All 5 5th graders getting Andrew Johnson right seemed a bit suspicious to me as well. How did they learn history when NCLB has them doing nothing but reading and math the entire time?

Good question, but if that's really what the NCLB program is doing, then it makes me question why my son has days practically every week where he doesn't go to math class, even more. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk