Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:03 pm

Its a trivia show. i saw it and thought it wasn't terrible it was actually kinda funny and at least you have to use your brain unlike, "Guess the briefcase show"

Anyways two of the questions:

1. What does REM stand for "Not TERRIBLY easy"
2. Who was the first president to be impeached. (Not Easy)

of course I got them both right.

The show isn't great but at least they ask real questions
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:12 pm

acsguitar wrote:Its a trivia show. i saw it and thought it wasn't terrible it was actually kinda funny and at least you have to use your brain unlike, "Guess the briefcase show"

I thought the REM question was one of the easiest. :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Its a trivia show. i saw it and thought it wasn't terrible it was actually kinda funny and at least you have to use your brain unlike, "Guess the briefcase show"

Well its not like.

Whats bigger a cat or an elephant.

At least its somewhat of a science question. It was easy but my point is they didn't tremendously dumb it down.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:17 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

Well its not like.

Whats bigger a cat or an elephant.

At least its somewhat of a science question. It was easy but my point is they didn't tremendously dumb it down.

Well the cat/elephant question is more of a kindergarten question. Then again, with today's kids, maybe more like a 3rd grade question. Surely by the 5th grade they aren't teaching that any longer. :-o

:-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:25 pm

I couldn't bring myself to watch this show. "Hey, lets reward people for being dumb asses!" "Great idea!"

And then they get, of all people, Jeff Foxworthy to host... in the promos he rolls his eyes at some woman who doesn't know what a pronoun is. Hey Jeff.... do you know what a pronoun is? How about an adverb? How about a career?

If you're a overpaid redneck with lousy comedy material, you might be Jeff Foxworthy. :-/ :*)
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:29 pm

If you're an adult and you don't know what REM stands for, then you shouldn't be given a chance to compete in a trivia game for money.

If you're an adult, and you don't know that the first president to be impeached was Andrew Johnson, then, again, you shouldn't be given a chance to compete for money on a game show.

OK, so most adults don't know a thing about American History... yet the people on Jeopardy win, what, around $10,000? Yet Fox wants to give people millions of dollars for being slightly less dumb than their own children?

See, I have a problem with this show, just as I do with Deal or No Deal. If you're going to win money on a game show, you better have some sort of skill. Pointing at suitcases and being as smart as a 10-year-old are not skills.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mak1277 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:31 pm

I too got sucked in by the wife after Am. Idol. It was brutal and I definitely won't be watching it again.

I'm also comfortable admitting I had absolutely no idea what month Columbus Day was in.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:51 pm

Coppermine wrote:See, I have a problem with this show, just as I do with Deal or No Deal. If you're going to win money on a game show, you better have some sort of skill. Pointing at suitcases and being as smart as a 10-year-old are not skills.

Have you really done the math on Deal or No Deal? Odds are not in favor of the player's case holding much (only 7 cases out of 26 having $100,000 or more). It's all odds and percentages on that game, and who can seperate logical thinking from greed.

Good example: 3 cases left ($400,000 - $10,000 - $5). Bank offer is $92,000. What do you do?

If you take it and run, you're shorting yourself $41,333 in pot odds. That's a banker's offer playing on your fear of winding up with zip.

Same scenario: $400,000 - $10,000 - $5 with a bank offer of $150,000. What do you do? You take it. You're almost + $17,000 on the pot odds.

It's fun to watch people not be able to seperate their greed/stupidity from simple math. Some of the chicks are nice on the eyes as well, and Howie is funny. I like the show. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:29 pm

Madison wrote:
Coppermine wrote:See, I have a problem with this show, just as I do with Deal or No Deal. If you're going to win money on a game show, you better have some sort of skill. Pointing at suitcases and being as smart as a 10-year-old are not skills.

Have you really done the math on Deal or No Deal? Odds are not in favor of the player's case holding much (only 7 cases out of 26 having $100,000 or more). It's all odds and percentages on that game, and who can seperate logical thinking from greed.

Good example: 3 cases left ($400,000 - $10,000 - $5). Bank offer is $92,000. What do you do?

If you take it and run, you're shorting yourself $41,333 in pot odds. That's a banker's offer playing on your fear of winding up with zip.

Same scenario: $400,000 - $10,000 - $5 with a bank offer of $150,000. What do you do? You take it. You're almost + $17,000 on the pot odds.

It's fun to watch people not be able to seperate their greed/stupidity from simple math. Some of the chicks are nice on the eyes as well, and Howie is funny. I like the show. B-)

Those would be the exact reasons I watch the show, occasionally. A lot of people love harping on the "point to a case" portion of the show, but I enjoy figuring the odds, judging what the wise move would be, and can ususally gague what the banker will offer within $1,000 from start to finish, based on what's left on the board. I dunno, I like mathematical mental exercises in that respect, and when they mask it as a television show with some scantly clad babes, well, ain't nothin' wrong with that. Madison couldn't be more right though, that there's much more to the show than people give credit, and it's no surprise that as a big poker player, he enjoys figuring odds, etc. as much as I do. :-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:41 pm

I'll admit, I was not smarter than a 5th Grader last night. Columbus Day in October? Why would any adult know that unless they get the day off work? (Government employees and teachers)

1st Pres impeached? Like most of us knew who that was. I said Andrew Jackson, but was wrong by 3 letters...

the rest of them, yes i knew, but it's amazing how much stuff we forget.

I think it's funny to laugh at how dumb we become and that's why I'll continue to watch.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk