Please help rate my team -- 5x5 Roto, 12 team league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Please help rate my team -- 5x5 Roto, 12 team league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Please help rate my team -- 5x5 Roto, 12 team league

Postby vandysports » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:37 am

C - Kendall
1B - Sexson
2B - Utley
3B - Lugo
SS - Tejada
OF - Sheffield
OF - Holliday
OF - D. Young
BN -- Youkilis, Taveras, Kendrick

SP - Carpenter
SP - Smoltz
RP - Putz
RP - Wickman
P - Mussina
P - Wainwright
P - Vazquez
BN -- Lowe, Glavine, Timlin
vandysports
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby vandysports » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:44 pm

Is there some secret handshake I have to know before anybody will read or respond to my post? I have started 3 threads asking for team-rating help, and every other post I've made on this site (maybe 10-15?) has been to rate other people's teams. Could someone help me out and tell me what I have to do in order to get some advice?
vandysports
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby blackmarketbaby » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:18 pm

Looks like a middle-of-the-pack team. You're missing about 30 stolen bases, a #3 and #4 starting pitcher, and another closer.

It's very early in the year for this subforum, so don't worry about the lack of response.

Here's my two teams. 17 views, no replies, and on page 3 over a period of 4 days. It'll be reposted in a month when people come flowing back in but in the meanwhile, post your thoughts.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=253539
blackmarketbaby
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:23 pm

vandysports wrote:Is there some secret handshake I have to know before anybody will read or respond to my post?

O:-)

LOL, I'll give ya a few thoughts....

You are behind most other teams in your league at C, 1B and 3B. Its nice to have Utley and Tejada but I don't know if they are enough to pick up the rest of that INF. Your OF has just as many ??..... how will Sheff bounce back, will Young put it together this year or will he go through some growing pains....

As far as pitching goes, you're pretty old.....Smoltz, Mussina, Glavine, Wickman, Timlin.... all of these guys are 38+

....... in other words it looks like you may just be a middle of the road team at best, IMO. You should have a little more firepower in a 12 team league.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby vandysports » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:12 am

Thanks for the candid advice. It was a tough draft, so I'm not suprised to be a little bit behind.

Do others agree that I should look to add some SB threats? There are several free agents who can contribute in this area, so I have some flexibility to put guys like that on my bench.

On the pitching side, what is the downside of having old pitchers? Clearly, the pitchers you listed on my team have all been very consistant performers over the last many years -- Timlin I don't know much about, other than that he's in the running for the Red Sox closing job and was still availible for my last pick.

On the hitting side, I agree with how you broke things down by position -- I was trying to gamble by saving C, 1B, and 3B for very late in the draft, to take advantage of the depth there, and I think that didn't really work out as well as I had hoped.

With Kendrick availible to play second, I've been thinking of whether I should try to deal Utley to strengthen another position. Prehaps I should think about dealing Smoltz or another of my pitchers to go a little bit younger in pitching and/or pick up a more consistant OF?
vandysports
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jimpage » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:37 am

yeah just be patient fot responses alot of people are just getting going with fantasy baseball...i think your offense is decent, i would try to trade tejada before utley, improve any area you like, and you can move lugo to ss and youkalis to 3rd to fill holes...and if there are steals available on the ww id look to trade lugo as he will have good value to other teams with his position eligibility and steals...willy t could steal 50 if he ever hits near .300...i have no problem with old pitching, last year guys like mussina, schilling and clemens were gold...they might not get 35 starts but they still produce...i would look to drop lowe, glavine, or both for maybe mike gonzalez or soriano as insurance behind wickman since you are a little thin at closer...and id probably drop kendall for any catcher that can hit 15 hr and wont kill your avg
jimpage
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team