Stereotypes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Stereotypes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:10 pm

sportsaddict wrote: This doesn't really surprise me, because when you have a school that's all of one kind, the kids tend to be very ignorant towards other races/different types of people. For example, take an all-white affluent school. I would think that most of the kids, when describing a stereotype of a black person, would have a lot of negative things to say, probably along the lines of "ghetto" or "violent".

I find this sort of amusing, b/c I grew up in Naperville, IL, very white suburb, in the mid-80s and the word that IMMEDIATELY would have come to mind to describe the black students at my high school would have been 'preppy'.

sportsaddict wrote: That's because those kids don't associate themselves with white people and don't understand that culture. Same goes for any other race or nationality. Its sad that our country is still divided racially (obviously its better now), and that we still have prejudices against each other beacuse we do not understand other people's cultures.

The other thing about this is that 'culture' is now largely determined by vacuous drones in marketing departments who insist on having 3 or 4 'cultures' every year to sell the kids' parents another round of 'must have' fashion items. Kids don't learn to do research into what might constitute good sense, planning, making decisions like 'do you want that $100 pair of jeans NOW or the $20 jeans now and $80 worth of beer in college?' that might make more sense in the long run. Of course one should probably argue against beer too, b/c that is the tool of sloth but, well, you know... ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:04 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
sportsaddict wrote: This doesn't really surprise me, because when you have a school that's all of one kind, the kids tend to be very ignorant towards other races/different types of people. For example, take an all-white affluent school. I would think that most of the kids, when describing a stereotype of a black person, would have a lot of negative things to say, probably along the lines of "ghetto" or "violent".

I find this sort of amusing, b/c I grew up in Naperville, IL, very white suburb, in the mid-80s and the word that IMMEDIATELY would have come to mind to describe the black students at my high school would have been 'preppy'.

sportsaddict wrote: That's because those kids don't associate themselves with white people and don't understand that culture. Same goes for any other race or nationality. Its sad that our country is still divided racially (obviously its better now), and that we still have prejudices against each other beacuse we do not understand other people's cultures.

The other thing about this is that 'culture' is now largely determined by vacuous drones in marketing departments who insist on having 3 or 4 'cultures' every year to sell the kids' parents another round of 'must have' fashion items. Kids don't learn to do research into what might constitute good sense, planning, making decisions like 'do you want that $100 pair of jeans NOW or the $20 jeans now and $80 worth of beer in college?' that might make more sense in the long run. Of course one should probably argue against beer too, b/c that is the tool of sloth but, well, you know... ;-D

You make a good point. I honestly could not care less about fashion, I am probably the worst dressed person alive. Its not a big deal for me, while everyone else is caught up in the newest "fashions."
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:23 am

acsguitar wrote:Alot of stereotypes are based on some truth

Even if a stereotype is based on "some" truth, it is, by it's very nature, false. Stereotypes are what lazy, ignorant people rely on so they can feel comfortable in their little fishbowls. The necessarily cause people to be prejudiced, they cause a greater schism between parties than would otherwise exist, and foster greater problems such as racism, sexism, classism, and whatever other "ism" you want to throw in there.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Half Massed » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:40 am

Everyone holds stereotypes when it comes down to it. That's what the movie Crash was about. It doesn't matter if you're in the majority of whatever -ism, everyone holds pre-conceived notions about other people. How we act on them or what we do about them is what determines "good" and "bad" people. Some people trust these stereotypes as truth and react accordingly, while others recognize them as fallacies and also act accordingly. That's why it's so frustrating to see people perpetuating stereotypes as it reinforces future action in people.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:58 am

sportsaddict wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:

You make a good point. I honestly could not care less about fashion, I am probably the worst dressed person alive. Its not a big deal for me, while everyone else is caught up in the newest "fashions."

I thought the "style" now was to not be in style..... :-?

Everywhere I turn, kids are wearing some of the strangest things.... :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:15 am

AcidRock23 wrote:I find this sort of amusing, b/c I grew up in Naperville, IL, very white suburb, in the mid-80s and the word that IMMEDIATELY would have come to mind to describe the black students at my high school would have been 'preppy'.

Heh - my dad is from Hinsdale. I have an uncle and cousin who live in Naperville right now. I've spent a lot of time there - good part of the country. Nice folks. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:29 am

This reminds me of an episode of Saved By the Bell. So Bayside was having a dance contest, and Mr. Belding was pretty excited about it... so was Slater because, even though he was a jock, he could put on the dance moves. Problem was, he wanted to dance with Kelly, because she's hot and stuff, but so did Zack... and as if that wasn't enough conflict, Zack admits to Jesse in confidence that he can't dance.

Ha! Lucky for Zack, Jesse was a future stripper, she teaches him how to dance so that he can go to the dance contest with Kelly.

Meanwhile, Screech is all over Lisa about going to the dance, but of course Lisa was planning to go with a random dude who was way cooler than Screech... UNTIL Lisa sprains her ankle shopping or something and the dude ditches her. Of course Screech was there to save the day.

Zack realizes, after all the time he spent learning to dance with Jesse, that he really wants to go to the dance contest with her... but Jesse is self-conscious about her height. So Zack is like "It's ok, I'm self conscious about my hair" and Jesse goes "Really?" and Zack says "No." So Zack ditches Kelly and she goes to the dance contest with Slater.

Casey Casum makes a cameo as the host at their diner place with the guy who wears a bowtie that spins around. Slater shows up wearing the gayest spandex outfit imaginable blurring the lines between his sexual orientation and jockness. Kelly is hot. Zack and Jesse dress up as preppy nerds and seem to be winning until Jesse steps on Zack's head because she's 19 feet tall.

In an endearing conclusion, super nerd Screech saves the day by dancing with stuck-up snot face Lisa who has a sprained ankle. They hobble around the dance floor and win the contest based on a "clap-o-meter." Casum, wearing one of the ugliest 80's sweaters imaginable, encourages everyone to get up and do..... "the sprain!"
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:34 am

Coppermine wrote:This reminds me of an episode of Saved By the Bell. So Bayside was having a dance contest, and Mr. Belding was pretty excited about it... so was Slater because, even though he was a jock, he could put on the dance moves. Problem was, he wanted to dance with Kelly, because she's hot and stuff, but so did Zack... and as if that wasn't enough conflict, Zack admits to Jesse in confidence that he can't dance.

Ha! Lucky for Zack, Jesse was a future stripper, she teaches him how to dance so that he can go to the dance contest with Kelly.

Meanwhile, Screech is all over Lisa about going to the dance, but of course Lisa was planning to go with a random dude who was way cooler than Screech... UNTIL Lisa sprains her ankle shopping or something and the dude ditches her. Of course Screech was there to save the day.

Zack realizes, after all the time he spent learning to dance with Jesse, that he really wants to go to the dance contest with her... but Jesse is self-conscious about her height. So Zack is like "It's ok, I'm self conscious about my hair" and Jesse goes "Really?" and Zack says "No." So Zack ditches Kelly and she goes to the dance contest with Slater.

Casey Casum makes a cameo as the host at their diner place with the guy who wears a bowtie that spins around. Slater shows up wearing the gayest spandex outfit imaginable blurring the lines between his sexual orientation and jockness. Kelly is hot. Zack and Jesse dress up as preppy nerds and seem to be winning until Jesse steps on Zack's head because she's 19 feet tall.

In an endearing conclusion, super nerd Screech saves the day by dancing with stuck-up snot face Lisa who has a sprained ankle. They hobble around the dance floor and win the contest based on a "clap-o-meter." Casum, wearing one of the ugliest 80's sweaters imaginable, encourages everyone to get up and do..... "the sprain!"

It's quite scary that you remember that many details about that show. :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:37 am

I remember that episode too. But how can you remember that much about a particular episode and not know that the diner is called The Max?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 am

Art Vandelay wrote:I remember that episode too. But how can you remember that much about a particular episode and not know that the diner is called The Max?

Haha, I was thinking the same exact thing. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk