Hafner might play 1B - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Hafner might play 1B

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kingman2003 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:26 pm

dmendro wrote:The same was said last year, but they want victor to play some first again this year, so it likely won't happen.

Yes, but they also want to keep VMart's bat in the line-up and give him some rest when he's not catching. Thus, he's likely to DH more this year so that he is truly resting (not playing in the field) on his off days (I think he'll DH on day games after night games, e.g., SUnday's).

At the same time, they need/want Hafner's bat in the line-up everyday so when VMart is DHing, Hafner will likely play 1B, and Blake/Garko (or whoever else) will ride the bench. Garko is not exactly the next Keith Hernandez at 1B and Blake will get some time in the OF.

Barring injury, I think it will play out as follows (on a weekly basis): VMart plays 4 games at C, 1 at 1B and 1 at DH; Pronk plays 5 games at DH and 1 at 1B; Shoppach plays 2 games at C; Garko and Blake platoon at 1B for the remaining 4 games with Blake also getting action in the OF.
kingman2003
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kingman2003 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:29 pm

Also note (I think I mentioned this in another thread), Hafner has started 4 spring training games at 1B in the past 2 weeks.
kingman2003
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dmendro » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:54 am

I believe last year Hafner played several spring training games at 1B. the problem is his wrist. As soon as it gets tender they won't let him play 1B any more. If you are counting on that, be prepared to be dissappointed. They have Ryan Garko waiting in the wings to play 1B/DH. I don't see VMart DH'ing, or Hafner playing much 1B. the only time I think he plays 1B might be when they play at NL ballparks. But I say he only plays every other day there. those are the perfect spots for them to get him some needed rest.
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Doughhead » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:19 pm

How many starts would it take for him to get that eligibility in Yahoo!? I think it's five, but I'm not 100% sure. Five starts seems achievable.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:31 pm

Doughhead wrote:How many starts would it take for him to get that eligibility in Yahoo!? I think it's five, but I'm not 100% sure. Five starts seems achievable.

5 starts or 10 games (counted separately).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates