The Honus Wagner Baseball Card - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Honus Wagner Baseball Card

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Honus Wagner Baseball Card

Postby statsman88 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:25 pm

Just sold for a record amount

8-o

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=a ... ard-record

Honus Wagner baseball card sells for record $2.3 million
By ANDREW GLAZER, Associated Press Writer
February 27, 2007

A 1909 Honus Wagner baseball card, which sold in 2000 for more than US$1 million, is seen on display at a sports memorabilia show at the Atlantic City Convention Center in Atlantic City, N.J., in this file photo from July 2003. The "Holy Grail of baseball cards," the famous 1909 Honus Wagner tobacco card once owned by hockey great Wayne Gretzky, has sold for a record-setting US$2,350,000, the seller of the card Brian Seigel said. The anonymous buyer has only been identified as a Southern California collector.
AP - Feb 27, 1:14 am EST
More Photos

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The "Holy Grail of baseball cards," the famous 1909 Honus Wagner tobacco card once owned by hockey great Wayne Gretzky, has sold for a record-setting $2.35 million, the seller of the card said Monday.

The buyer has only been identified as a Southern California collector. SCP Auctions Inc., a company that holds sports memorabilia auctions, said it bought a small share of the card. It is scheduled to be shown at a news conference at Dodger Stadium on Tuesday.

There are about 60 of the tobacco cards in existence featuring the Pittsburgh Pirates shortstop, one of the first five players to be inducted in Baseball's Hall of Fame.

The seller, Brian Seigel, in 2000 paid a then-record $1,265,000 for the prize card, which is in much better shape than the others.

"This particular one was preserved in spectacular condition," said Joe Orlando, president of Professional Sports Authenticator of Newport Beach -- the company that certified the authenticity of the card. "It's the Holy Grail of baseball cards."

Still, the Wagner cards are so rare that even tattered ones will sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars, Seigel said.

The others "you could stick in middle of the street and let cars drive over it through the day, take it in your hand and crumple it up, and it still would be a $100,000 card," said Seigel, CEO of Emerald Capital LLC, an asset management company, who lives in Las Vegas.

Gretzky and Bruce McNall, former owner of the Los Angeles Kings, bought the card for $451,000 in 1991.

During his ownership of the card, Seigel displayed it at several sports collectible shows, showed it at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum and at brought it to opening bell ceremonies for the NASDAQ stock exchange in New York.

"The Wagner card gave me a tremendous amount of pride, excitement and pleasure," he said. "I hope the new owner will have the same satisfaction I enjoyed over the years."

The tobacco cards used to be included in packs of cigarettes. Collectors believe Wagner's cards are rare because he stopped allowing the American Tobacco Co. to use his image, fearing it would encourage children to smoke.

Nicknamed the "Flying Dutchman," Wagner was the National League batting champion in eight of his 21 seasons and finished his career with a lifetime .329 average. He retired in 1917 with more hits, runs, RBIs, doubles, triples steals than any National League player.
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jlm53089 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:54 pm

how sweet it is.
a piece of paper worth 2.3 million dollars.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:57 pm

Like having a 2.3 million dollar bill.

:-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:58 pm

Wonder how Gretzky feels now. Gone up almost 2 Million in the last 15 years or so. :-o

I don't think I could bring myself to own a card that cost that kind of money. Guess I'm just too practical. I'd love to see it, hold it, and look at it, but I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money to own it. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:58 pm

I wonder if Gretzky's previous ownership made this one more valuable.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:03 pm

You know there are probably dozens of these cards rotting in the basements, attics, and crawl spaces of American homes.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:03 pm

Wish Gretzky had kept it, just sold it now, and put all the money into the Phoenix Coyotes. :-[
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:31 pm

thedude wrote:You know there are probably dozens of these cards rotting in the basements, attics, and crawl spaces of American homes.

5 dozen to be exact ;-7

The article wrote:There are about 60 of the tobacco cards in existence featuring the Pittsburgh Pirates shortstop, one of the first five players to be inducted in Baseball's Hall of Fame.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RyanK » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:56 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
thedude wrote:You know there are probably dozens of these cards rotting in the basements, attics, and crawl spaces of American homes.

5 dozen to be exact ;-7

The article wrote:There are about 60 of the tobacco cards in existence featuring the Pittsburgh Pirates shortstop, one of the first five players to be inducted in Baseball's Hall of Fame.

I still always dream that someday ill help some old lady clean out her attic and her tell me i can keep whatever I find and I would find an old trunk of baseball cards.

Damn dreams...
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby pokeyjoe » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:20 pm

Anybody read that book Honus and Me when they were younger? It was awesome, it was about a kid who could travel through time using baseball cards. There was a whole series of them.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to General Talk