UK may take obese boy from mother - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

UK may take obese boy from mother

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:22 pm

The Associated Press
Published: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 Article tools

LONDON -- British authorities may take an eight-year-old boy weighing 218 pounds into protective custody unless his mother improves his diet, officials said Monday.

Social service officials will meet family members Tuesday to discuss the health of Connor McCreaddie, who weighs more than three times the average for his age.

"The worst case would be Connor getting taken into care. He is well cared for," the boy's mother, Nicola McKeown, told ITV television.

A spokeswoman for health officials in Wallsend, North Tyneside, some 500 kilometres north of London, said Tuesday's hearing was part of a process that could eventually lead to Connor being taken into protective care.

The health agencies organizing Tuesday's meeting issued a statement saying they "have been working with the family over a prolonged period of time and will continue to do so."

An unnamed health official was quoted as telling the Sunday Times that taking custody of Connor would be a last resort, but said the family had repeatedly failed to attend appointments with nurses, nutritionists and social workers.

"Child abuse is not just about hitting your children or sexually abusing them, it is also about neglect," the official was quoted as saying.

Dr. Colin Waine, the director of the National Obesity Forum in Nottingham, England, called Connor's lifestyle "extremely dangerous," adding he is at risk of developing diabetes in his early teens, and cardiovascular and nervous system problems in his twenties.

"He's really at risk of dying by the time he's 30," Waine said.

Pediatrician Dr. Michael Markiewicz agreed. "I'm not saying they can't care for him, but what they are doing is through the way they are treating him and feeding him, they are slowly killing him," he said.

Connor's case attracted national attention after his mother allowed an ITV News crew to film his day-to-day life over the course of a month. Connor's mother said he steals and hides food, frustrating her efforts to help him.

"He has double, triple what a normal boy (of his age) would have, but if I didn't give him enough at teatime then he would just go on at us all night for snacks and stuff," she told ITV.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:27 pm

Nice ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:37 pm

Florida! :-B

Oh wait...this happened in the UK? Sure sounds like something American parents would let happen. :-t
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:17 pm

Eight years old and 218 lbs? Damn. How does someone let their child get than unhealthy? Isn't there a point when you notice that there is a problem? Isn't there other family members who could have nipped this in the bud? Father? Grandparents? Maybe the kid has some kind of medical condition or something, but if not...wow.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:56 pm

seems like his parents are intent on enabling him. i don't think this is something to break up a family for because the parents are not guilty of neglect (they appear to love him very much and pay penty of attention to him) and are not guilty of any sort of physical abuse. they are just the biggest cowards and pushovers on the planet. throw locks on the fridge and cabinets and let the kid cry his ham tears until he goes to bed on a normal diet. i read elsewhere that he can't make the 5-minute walk to school b/c he gets too tired or pukes on the way there. Make him walk every day and he'll get one step closer to school before he pukes and soon enough he'll make it the whole way.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:21 pm

RugbyD wrote:seems like his parents are intent on enabling him. i don't think this is something to break up a family for because the parents are not guilty of neglect (they appear to love him very much and pay penty of attention to him) and are not guilty of any sort of physical abuse. they are just the biggest cowards and pushovers on the planet. throw locks on the fridge and cabinets and let the kid cry his ham tears until he goes to bed on a normal diet. i read elsewhere that he can't make the 5-minute walk to school b/c he gets too tired or pukes on the way there. Make him walk every day and he'll get one step closer to school before he pukes and soon enough he'll make it the whole way.

I agree with everything you wrote except:

"the parents are not guilty of neglect"

Yes they most certainly are. They are allowing their child's health to suffer for no reason at all. It is their responsibility to protect their child (even from himself or them) and see to his well being. They are clearly ignoring and reglecting that responsibility as this child is not healthy in the least, and they are the ones causing him to not be healthy. They are clearly neglecting the health of their child. Would be no different than not feeding him at all, which I doubt anyone would argue isn't neglect.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:28 pm

Madison wrote:
RugbyD wrote:seems like his parents are intent on enabling him. i don't think this is something to break up a family for because the parents are not guilty of neglect (they appear to love him very much and pay penty of attention to him) and are not guilty of any sort of physical abuse. they are just the biggest cowards and pushovers on the planet. throw locks on the fridge and cabinets and let the kid cry his ham tears until he goes to bed on a normal diet. i read elsewhere that he can't make the 5-minute walk to school b/c he gets too tired or pukes on the way there. Make him walk every day and he'll get one step closer to school before he pukes and soon enough he'll make it the whole way.

Yes they most certainly are.

Exactly. This is potentially more harmful, especially in the long run, than most types of physical abuse.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Madison wrote:

Yes they most certainly are.

Exactly. This is potentially more harmful, especially in the long run, than most types of physical abuse.

This is worse then physical abuse in many ways. It not only hurts him physically but emotionally as well
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby thedude » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:04 pm

8-o Wow. Poor kid.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:25 pm

:-t

reminds me of one of those Maury Povich shows with fat kids and one of the mothers said something like "my baby like hot-dogs so how can i tell him he cant have 12 hot-dogs"...it's like are you serious, you're his mother, just tell him he can't have 12 hot-dogs and let him cry for 5 minutes
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk