Kelly Johnson, 2B, Atlanta Braves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Kelly Johnson, 2B, Atlanta Braves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kelly Johnson, 2B, Atlanta Braves

Postby kljsoccer18 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:12 am

What does everyone think of Kelly Johnson this year? Worth a spot on a standard roster? and does the kid have any speed?
kljsoccer18
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Train » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:01 am

Roto Authority likes him a lot but note that he won't immediately qualify at 2B until he gets his time in at that position.

"Right now, 25 year-old Kelly Johnson is the favorite to play second base and lead off for the Braves in 2007. What can we expect from him?

First I should note that Johnson didn't play at all in the Majors last year (elbow surgery) and only played outfield in '05. So he probably won't qualify at 2B in your league until a week or two into the season.

Even though he missed '05, Baseball Prospectus's PECOTA system loves Johnson. It forecasts a .291/.374/.495 line from him in '07. If he hit like that, he'd be a major sleeper. He'd fly past my initial 450 AB projection and maybe even reach 600. In that case he could indeed realize Bobby Cox's prediction of 20 HR.

Unfortunately we don't have a ZiPS projection for Johnson for '07. Before the '06 season, they called for .262/.347/.442.

As a leadoff man with at least a .350 OBP, Johnson could be a big-time sleeper for 100 runs and 20 longballs. You might want to stash him on reserve or in the OF until he qualifies at second. I haven't seen the consistent 80%+ contact rate you'd expect from a .290 hitter, so look for an AVG in the .270s right now. He also won't run much, so you're looking at a two-category contributor. I am going to adjust my own forecast for next Sunday's update now that he's the favorite to bat leadoff."

http://www.rotoauthority.com/2007/01/sl ... ert_k.html
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:13 pm

just to let everyone know, johnson is eligible at 2nd in cbs leagues and not in the OF

zips has him for
.255-14-51-67-8
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates