Phillip Hughes Yahoo Watch - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Phillip Hughes Yahoo Watch

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Phillip Hughes Yahoo Watch

Postby Super Manny » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:08 pm

I'm sure there are others out there who are as anxious as I am for Yahoo to add the Yankees rookie to their fantasy database.

Feel free to use this thread to comment on Hughes, but I'm hoping that we can primarily use it to keep each other abreast of his Yahoo status. ;-D

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yankee_cafe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:57 pm

ssssssssssh .... I'm going to start the season with a very low waiver priority in our dynasty league. We begin our season with all players on waivers and it's a feeding frenzy when they clear. I'm hoping to sit back and do nothing to end up with a high waiver priority and just wait for young Hughes to get added later in the season.

Don't jinx it for me man! :-D
Can we build it?
yankee_cafe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Super Manny » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:11 pm

It was bound to happen sometime. The Cafe was in "Hamels Watch" for much of last season and followed that with a "Billingsley Watch". This year, it's Hughes' turn. ;-)

As a Yankees fan, what role do you see Hughes filling this season and when do you think he'll slip into the rotation (presumably taking Pavano's spot)? The latest on Rotoworld has Cashman quoted as saying that he won't be "handed a roster spot" out of spring training, which isn't necessarily bad news...at least they're giving him a shot, right? Additionally, after seeing Hughes workout, Giambi compared him to Clemens and Pratt said he reminded him of Schilling. That's some good company to be in. ;-D

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:56 pm

Expect him to start in AAA and come up midseason when someone gets hurt.

He really should start out in AAA for his own good.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby PerfectTen66 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:14 am

I am not a Yankee fan, but for the love of all things baseball, DO NOT RUSH HIM!!! He is only 20 and after watching a huge setback for a guy like Liriano, who was not rushed at first by starting the year in middle relief (yes, he may have been rushed back from injury in August). If Hughes is going to be the stud he is supposed to be, and the Yanks have enough pitching to get by, let Hughes sit ALL of this year in the minors barring 2 or 3 pitching losses. Even then, limit his innings to Jaret Wright numbers. There is no need to push him. This kid could anchor the staff for 10-15 years or he could come out like a house of fire this year and be getting Tommy John surgery by September.

If Hughes is worth not pulling the trigger on many deals last year that were nixed because teams wanted him, then he should be worth enough to be patient.
PerfectTen66
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Super Manny » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:24 am

FWIW, Mark Newman, Senior VP of Baseball Operations for the Yankees, has said that the organization will limit Hughes to a total of 175-180 total innings this season.

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/2007/01/3 ... e-matters/

Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby gostanford07 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:34 am

Super Manny wrote:FWIW, Mark Newman, Senior VP of Baseball Operations for the Yankees, has said that the organization will limit Hughes to a total of 175-180 total innings this season.

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/2007/01/3 ... e-matters/

Definitely concur that he should be held back until AT LEAST mid season.

For the record, "Senior VP of Baseball Operations" could possibly be the sickest job ever.
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby cobbs87 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:36 am

I will be all over that when and if it happens. I don't think he will get called up this year to be honest. But my roommate and I who are both huge Yankees/Hughes fans (hence my avatar) have made it clear that whoever ends up with the higher waiver priority isn't letting go of it till they land Hughes.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Surfs up » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:04 am

I can't see Hughes making the team out of ST. April is a screwy month with lots of time off. Not much need for a # 5 starter.I doubt they would work him out of the bullpen. He'll need to pitch every fifth day to build up arm strenghth If thats where he ends up by mid season. Probably the #3 starter next year.I have him on my minor league roster and it would be fine with me if he didn't come up at all this year.But if he does come up I hope its very early. His contract clock start ticking two after he comes up in our league. Can't keep him in the minors.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 198)

Postby MotorCityKitties » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:39 am

I want to bump this thread up to keep an eye on when Hughes as well as Braun, Josh Hamilton and other prospects that may have an impact this year will become available on Yahoo.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers