Reid Brignac - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Reid Brignac

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Reid Brignac

Postby Philly_05 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:00 pm

What is everyones thoughts on him will be end up being better than Troy Tulowitzki. An Tory and Brandon Wood are gone. The next guy is Elvis Andrus who is many years away no? So does anyone think Reid will become the next big thing at SS? An if so how long will it take for him to make an impact like that with the D Rays or not a chance?
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 632)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jwhands » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:44 pm

First, he will likely not be a ss at the ML level. His glove just won't work there. Also, coming from someone who drafted him late last year, I don't think Reid will be as solid as people may believe. He has the potential to be a solid MLB player, but I'm not sure he'll reach the status of Tulo, Wood, Drew. He raked in what I believe to be a good hitter's league, so I'm still skeptical to see what his #s do in a more pitcher friendly league. I hope this helps you out.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Philly_05 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:49 pm

jwhands wrote:First, he will likely not be a ss at the ML level. His glove just won't work there. Also, coming from someone who drafted him late last year, I don't think Reid will be as solid as people may believe. He has the potential to be a solid MLB player, but I'm not sure he'll reach the status of Tulo, Wood, Drew. He raked in what I believe to be a good hitter's league, so I'm still skeptical to see what his #s do in a more pitcher friendly league. I hope this helps you out.

I guess just means more years of trying to find a SS every single year it seems since there are none that will be big time anytime soon.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 632)

Postby High Heater » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:11 pm

i totaly agree with the other poster... in fact i'd be dead shocked if Brigs remained at short at the ML level. hes got no range there at all and is stiff in the hips. he belongs at the hot corner imo. his bat will carry him alot tho.

Andrus is the next big thing coming thru at short but is a LONG ways away.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby nathan050904 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:37 pm

I don't agree with either poster about him having to move from SS.

John Sickels "Defensively, his best attribute is a strong arm, although said arm is often inaccurate. He has good range, and despite his size won't have to move to third base."

Baseball America "There were concerns that he might outgrow shortstop, but he eased them in 2006 and continued to show plus arm strength...Brignac needs more consistency with his defense, particularly his throwing...Brignac has the talent and intangibles to be Tampa Bay's starting shortstop within the next two years."

Deric McKamey (Baseball HQ) "May stay at SS with solid range and average arm, but needs to soften hands and reduce errors."
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby High Heater » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:18 pm

basicaly what BJ Upton had problems with all over again.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:15 am

I have seen Reid play almost everyday so far this ST. He is getting much better defensively and offesenively he is a beast. He will eventually be the Rays everyday SS. I would look for maybe a September callup and then start out of ST next year
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jwhands » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:53 am

nathan050904 wrote:I don't agree with either poster about him having to move from SS.

John Sickels "Defensively, his best attribute is a strong arm, although said arm is often inaccurate. He has good range, and despite his size won't have to move to third base."

I don't believe Sickels was able to see Brignac first hand last year, and he's going on heresay.

nathan050904 wrote:Baseball America "There were concerns that he might outgrow shortstop, but he eased them in 2006 and continued to show plus arm strength...Brignac needs more consistency with his defense, particularly his throwing...Brignac has the talent and intangibles to be Tampa Bay's starting shortstop within the next two years."

Needs more consistency on defense....meaning he isn't solid enough to be a ss at the ML level.

nathan050904 wrote:Deric McKamey (Baseball HQ) "May stay at SS with solid range and average arm, but needs to soften hands and reduce errors."

May stay at SS.....meaning likely will need to be moved. Needs to soften hands and reduce errors. If you've played ball before, you should know that there's a point where people either have soft hands or they don't. You can only train so much to soften your hands, and Brignac just doesn't have it. If the D-Rays really wanted him in their lineup by the end of this year, then they will need to find him a more suitable position. Personally, I don't see him being called up unless it's for coffee in September. If they bring this kid up everyday, they could easily harm his career by exposing him too early. One solid year of ball in a hitter's league doesn't equal everyday status at the ML level.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby High Heater » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:43 am

we heard the same thing with Upton... and all his errors were mostly him throwing the ball to first not his fielding.

Wood is on the move as well and i dont see that pattern changing with Brigs.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:35 am

High Heater wrote:we heard the same thing with Upton... and all his errors were mostly him throwing the ball to first not his fielding.

Wood is on the move as well and i dont see that pattern changing with Brigs.

where would they put Brig? Aki is at 3B and Evan is supposed to play 2B, i guess they could always move Evan to SS and have Reid at 2B, Evan played SS/3B in college
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball