I need job advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I need job advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I need job advice

Postby Coppermine » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:36 pm

OK, I'll try to make this brief but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now.

First of all, I work for a very small, IT consulting company. As a consultant, for some time I was working in our largest client's corporate office. I was working there in a support role for someone who worked directly for the client in IT. Let's call him Jim... Jim worked for the client full time and I worked with him, but as a consultant. What this means is that Jim got paid more and got better benefits from the client company while doing the same job as me.

Now, recently, Jim took another position within his company and I am now working full time as the only IT person at the corporate office. I am still a consultant, and I am still making the same money... although my work load as doubled and my responsibilities have increased dramatically. Jim's company has recently posted a job opening for his old job, the one I am doing right now. I do my job well, the people here in the office are constantly telling me how appreciative they are of me being there, some even going so far as to tell me how much better I am than Jim was. Unfortunately, no one from the IT department of this company is around to hear this.

At the urging of one of the employees for this client company who works in HR, I'm thinking about applying for the very job I'm doing right now. A part of me wonders why the client hasn't offered me the job outright though. Another part of me is worried that the client will tell my employer that I went behind their back to apply for this job, and they'll retaliate in some way.... that's obviously worst case. However, if I get the job, I'll be a happy camper.

So, should I tell my current employer that I'm thinking about applying for this job, or can I do whatever I want? Can they fire me if they find out I applied for it behind their backs? (I already know the answer to that question). Is it worth the risk? I can always just float along as an underpaid, under appreciated consultant, but I'm not happy in that role. Ugh, work is so stressful.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I need job advice

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:44 pm

Go for the job. You don't need to tell your current employer you are going for it. If you get the job give your employer 2 weeks notice.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Re: I need job advice

Postby Coppermine » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:46 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Go for the job. You don't need to tell your current employer you are going for it. If you get the job give your employer 2 weeks notice.

That seems silly since absolutely nothing would change except who signs my paychecks :-b

I would give 2 weeks notice of course; I'm considering telling my supervisor since he's always been good to me and loyalty is an issue with him. Then again, I'm hoping if they don't hire me, no one will have to even know... but I'd look for a new job anyway if that were to happen.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BGbootha » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:52 pm

One reason why they may have not offered you the job outright could be that they are obligated to post it 'in house' for a certain amount of time before posting the job to the outside.

But I say go for it. and hope that no one from your current employee checks out this forum. :-?
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Old_Style » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:53 pm

While applying for a job, they usually ask if they can contact your current employer.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRock » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:58 pm

I wouldn't formally apply without getting some feelers out there first. If you're on good terms with Jim, sit him down over lunch and ask him what he thinks of the idea.

The other thing to consider that could be beyond your control is the arrangement the client company has with your company. Consulting firms rarely smile upon their clients hiring their consultants away, and they may even be contractually forbidden to do so.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:59 pm

Old_Style wrote:While applying for a job, they usually ask if they can contact your current employer.

Yeah, and I'm fine with that if they give me the job. The thing is, this company is my employer's biggest client so they already have a close rapport.

I just set up a meeting with the HR director here so maybe I'll get some answers.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:02 pm

TheRock wrote:I wouldn't formally apply without getting some feelers out there first. If you're on good terms with Jim, sit him down over lunch and ask him what he thinks of the idea.

The other thing to consider that could be beyond your control is the arrangement the client company has with your company. Consulting firms rarely smile upon their clients hiring their consultants away, and they may even be contractually forbidden to do so.

I know it's basically frowned upon, but Jim actually worked for my employer originally, so it definitely happens. I know it's not contractually forbidden anyway... like I said, I'm going to talk to the HR director who I have a pretty good working relationship with (I fix his blackberry every week practically) and I'll probably talk to Jim about it too. Thanks guys!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:03 pm

TheRock wrote:I wouldn't formally apply without getting some feelers out there first. If you're on good terms with Jim, sit him down over lunch and ask him what he thinks of the idea.

thats what i was thinking. i'd casually mention it before submitting your resume. it may also be the company likes having you as a consultant. they dont pay your benefits and can let you go for any reason.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:14 pm

No, do not tell your current employer that you are seeking that job. Put in your resume and have ask your manager at the company you are at to put in a good word. If you truly are doing a good job, why wouldn't they hire you? Less of a learning curve. Don't read anything into it. They do have to publicize the position.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk