Strategy on drafting closers... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy on drafting closers...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy on drafting closers...

Postby jeter2411 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:27 pm

I am in a 12 team NL-only auction league 4x4 (OBP, HR, RBI, SB...ERA, Wins, Ks, Saves)

What are peoples strategies on drafting closers? I have been doing fantasy baseball now for three years (this will be my fourth) and although I have made runs at titles I have never finished better than 5th...this seems to be the toughest position and the key to winning.

Do you take a top notch closer? 2? A couple of long shots? One of each? Help me out!

Thanks!
jeter2411
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:29 pm

Everyone is different. I usually try to get one top rated closer, then a couple of bottom feeders. However if closer go early I usually end up waiting and just get 2-3 lower tier guys.

If you are active enough you can usually find guys on the waiver wire or late rounds that can give you a fair number of saves.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy on drafting closers...

Postby Prooks25 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:30 pm

jeter2411 wrote:I am in a 12 team NL-only auction league 4x4 (OBP, HR, RBI, SB...ERA, Wins, Ks, Saves)

What are peoples strategies on drafting closers? I have been doing fantasy baseball now for three years (this will be my fourth) and although I have made runs at titles I have never finished better than 5th...this seems to be the toughest position and the key to winning.

Do you take a top notch closer? 2? A couple of long shots? One of each? Help me out!

Thanks!

Personally, I have never taken a top notch closer in any league I've been in. I've won many leagues, and if I don't win, I am usually competitive.

My strat. is to grab 2nd or 3rd teir guys later on in drafts, or sleeper closers who no one really knows about yet. Then once the season starts, I am hot on the waiver wire to pick up new closers or fill in closers. So that's how I patch together great Save Numbers.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BGbootha » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:58 pm

I like to use a couple of late round picks on guys who will more than likely be in the running for some saves later in the year. Mike Gonzalez in ATL for instance.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Re: Strategy on drafting closers...

Postby Philliebuster » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Prooks25 wrote:
Personally, I have never taken a top notch closer in any league I've been in. I've won many leagues, and if I don't win, I am usually competitive.

My strat. is to grab 2nd or 3rd teir guys later on in drafts, or sleeper closers who no one really knows about yet. Then once the season starts, I am hot on the waiver wire to pick up new closers or fill in closers. So that's how I patch together great Save Numbers.

Thats what I just did...

Picked Saito and Valverde at 154 and 159 and grabbed Piniero at 231. Guys on the ww are Gonzo (atl), Tankersly, etc...I'm going to wait for an injury or change in guard then i'll pounce.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bselig » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:09 pm

Heh, Valverde is getting a shot to close again? Didn't he get absolutely reamed last season? I agree with the scrub closers late/waiver wire pickups; usually you get at least one or two guys who have great seasons (Mike Williams, Gagne, Street, Turnbow, etc.). Since you are NL only, though, you may want to invest a higher pick on a more elite closer since there will be fewer pickups during the season, and it might be more risky to wait till late in the draft or the waiver wire (ie fewer chances for you to beat someone to the pickup).
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ctt8410 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:25 pm

bselig wrote:Heh, Valverde is getting a shot to close again? Didn't he get absolutely reamed last season? I agree with the scrub closers late/waiver wire pickups; usually you get at least one or two guys who have great seasons (Mike Williams, Gagne, Street, Turnbow, etc.). Since you are NL only, though, you may want to invest a higher pick on a more elite closer since there will be fewer pickups during the season, and it might be more risky to wait till late in the draft or the waiver wire (ie fewer chances for you to beat someone to the pickup).

Sort of.

April - 5 saves, 3.24 ERA, 14 K in 8.1 innings
May - 9 saves, 7.71 ERA, 12 K in 11.2 innings
June - 0 saves, 12.66 ERA, 19 K in 10.2 innings
August - 0 saves, 1.80 ERA, 13 K in 10 innings
September - 4 saves, 2.25 ERA, 10 K in 8 innings

His K/9 last year was nearly 1.4 with a 3.1 K/BB ratio, but he's inconsistent to say the least.
ctt8410
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:38 pm

It depends on the other teams but with those settings I think you're going to have to pick a closer early. NL only means at most there are 16 closers available. The Giants, Reds, Marlins situations are a mess and there are at least half a dozen others that I'm not big fan of. With 12 teams you are looking at 1 closer to get saves and with a 4x4 saves are even more valuable than in a 5x5. My guess is Wagner and Hoffman are off the board by the 3rd, everyone starts to freak and anyone with a job is gone by the 7th.

Now if the other teams aren't quick on the WW, I might just say screw saves until the last 3-5 rounds of the draft and pick up next in line closers and keep an eye out for new closers.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 378)

Postby Big Game JLo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:46 pm

I think Pogotheostrich started off with the right idea and then moved away from it. With your settings, if you're able to land a solid closer and a decent closer, you'll be set to win 1 of the 7 categories! Two picks nets you a definite win every week! That's value! If you take a guy like Wagner early and then Saito later in the 10th - 11th rounds, you will lock yourself into a win in 15% of your categories!
Big Game JLo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:00 pm

I draft closers after most of my hitting is chosen. Closers change so much and have such a high turnover rate that it's not worth the high pick for me.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers