BJ Upton: position watch, praise, anything! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

BJ Upton: position watch, praise, anything!

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

BJ Upton: position watch, praise, anything!

Postby RynMan » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:24 pm

So this guy has the potential to give you double digit home runs, and 40+ steals. If he has multiple eligibility this is significant.

Upton has started taking ground balls at second base at the Devil Rays' camp, the St. Petersburg Times reports.

That would look very nice at 2B. B-)

Apparently also been working out at 3B and OF.
Last edited by RynMan on Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:28 pm

Position eligibility is very nice... but this is the same guy who switched from SS to 3B in 06 and saw his offensive production plummet. I really, really like Upton as he has a chance to be very special but what the DRays are doing is not helping his progress. The switch from SS to 3B should have been flawless but it wasn't. I hope he can make the transition to 2B but I am worried.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RynMan » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:33 pm

Yoda wrote:Position eligibility is very nice... but this is the same guy who switched from SS to 3B in 06 and saw his offensive production plummet. I really, really like Upton as he has a chance to be very special but what the DRays are doing is not helping his progress. The switch from SS to 3B should have been flawless but it wasn't. I hope he can make the transition to 2B but I am worried.

Yeah I agree. I would have thought the best thing to do would have been let him settle into one role, instead of exposing him to numerous ones. However, I think he could be of value on speed alone. I have read a few articles where Maddon is emphasizing how they aren't trying to pressure him into playing good defense etc, so we'll see I guess.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Uptons Playing Time

Postby Doc19 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:33 pm

BJ Upton is a guy that I have been rather down on due to his defensive struggles and lack of power; I was recently thinking about him, however, as a nice source of steals that potentially could be had very late in the draft. Can anyone in-the-know in D-Ray land give their 2 cents about Uptons playing time? Possible to break the 40-steal barrier?

My current projections, albeit influenced by my own cynicism:
375AB 60R 7HR 44 RBI 29SB

Way off?
Doc19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigken117 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:35 pm

I thank The Baby Jesus every day I passed on Wright with my #1 waiver to wait on Upton in my main keeper league :-/

The Rays are messing with him by moving him around so much. Put him somewhere and keep him there so he's not worried about his defense while at the plate.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby DevilDriver » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:42 pm

Even if he becomes eligible, does it really matter because he won't be starting anywhere?
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RynMan » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:20 am

DevilDriver wrote:Even if he becomes eligible, does it really matter because he won't be starting anywhere?

They'll find at bats for him. They have to. Otherwise they need to trade him. You don't let top prospects sit on the bench - they have to play everyday somewhere.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:23 am

RynMan wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:Even if he becomes eligible, does it really matter because he won't be starting anywhere?

They'll find at bats for him. They have to. Otherwise they need to trade him. You don't let top prospects sit on the bench - they have to play everyday somewhere.

But this is the DRays we are talking about. The same team you know, rewarded Delmon Young by calling him up in the same year he threw a bat at an ump. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Tampa Bay Rays