Intriguing draft question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Intriguing draft question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Intriguing draft question

Postby MiggyT » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:38 pm

I just had my first draft and found quite a dilemma around the 4th round. It was a 12-team 5X5 roto league, and my first 3 picks were Ortiz, Hafner and Andruw Jones. I always grab hitters early and generally avoid SP until past round 8, but here I was mid-4th round and Jake Peavy was still there. (for Peavy haters.. Webb and Zambrano were there as well). There were still some great bats left with Garrett Atkins, Jermaine Dye and Rafael Furcal (for speed and filling my SS) all left, but I decided to roll with Peavy, who I felt was great value at that spot.

After the draft, I regretted it slightly because I felt I really could've taken control of all the batting categories with that pick, and instead just ended up with a "good" batting team. Meanwhile, I found quite a few pitchers later that don't have that severe of a dropoff from guys like Peavy. In the next round, I also had to jump on the closer run, since I feel there's a huge dropoff after the first few closers.

Not debating my decision on jumping on an elite closer (B.J. Ryan was the one who fell to me), but my question is: Do I give up too much in the form of a bat in order to aquire a guy like Peavy in the 4th, or should I not worry about and just be happy he fell to me?
MiggyT
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:39 pm

In my opinion, yeah. I'm loving getting Atkins in the 4th round.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MiggyT » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:45 pm

If a specific player (like Atkins) wouldn't have fallen, would u still have taken a 4th bat over a pitcher like Peavy?
MiggyT
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steve-o » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:03 pm

MiggyT wrote:If a specific player (like Atkins) wouldn't have fallen, would u still have taken a 4th bat over a pitcher like Peavy?

With three strong hitters like that, I would have taken Peavy in the 4th. Of course, I think he is the 2nd best SP next year. But I bet I am in the minority with both those opinions.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WyldStallyn » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:49 pm

not a bad pick. i probly wouldve taken atkins and taken the sp in the next round if possible, but i usually go hitters over pitchers
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby MiggyT » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:10 am

So people don't mind not having an elite ace? I do agree.. just wanted to check what the general concensus was.
MiggyT
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:30 pm

MiggyT wrote:So people don't mind not having an elite ace? I do agree.. just wanted to check what the general concensus was.

I'd have done the same thing as you, but that's my preference. If I can get one of those Peavy/Oswalt/Zambrano/Webb types for good value (which you did), I like to grab one and then ignore SP for another 4-5 rounds. Same with closer... I like to get a lower tier 1 or upper tier closer in the 5-6 round range, then ignore until later. That lets you get 6 good bats out of your first 8 picks, which will set you up nicely on offense and you've already got your pitching base down as well.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Return to Baseball Leftovers