Coors Field Humidor being shut down? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Coors Field Humidor being shut down?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kemper5 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:02 pm

Just read this article about the infield grass being longer, but a possible shut down of the humidor at Coors? I thought they had to go by MLB rules, but you never know.

Humidor still an unknown, but infield grass at Coors will get even longer... In February, even a tidbit about baseball's most volatile ballpark passes for news. Coors Field's groundskeeper told the media this week that the Rockies have left their infield grass long, starting in 2005 and running through 2006, and that they plan to keep the grass even longer this season.

Aaron Cook (RHP, COL), in particular, and to a lesser extent Jeff Francis (LHP, COL), stand to benefit disproportionately from any ground ball-friendly features of Coors. Cook consistently has a ground ball rate around 60%, and Francis saw his ground ball rate climb from 40% to 45% last season.

An extra bit of grass is likely insignificant if the (in)famous Coors humidor is throttled down this season (it won't be shut down, assumedly, as MLB has issued a directive ordering all balls to be stored at the same temperature after being delivered to teams; the humidor is probably the simplest means for Colorado to comply). Coors returned to the days of the Blake Street Bombers late last season, with 235 runs scored in 14 September games, after playing as a moderate pitcher's park for the prior five months. Some speculated that the Rockies might have shut down the humidor as an experiment. Whether the humidor will be in full effect is anyone's guess. If it is used anything like it has in recent seasons, then the extra grass length may show up in the performance of Cook, Francis and the rest of the Colorado staff.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby cordscords » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:18 pm

I've been hearing this too. Should help Helton push back into the 20-25 range.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kemper5 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:21 pm

Gosh Id love for them to kick that Humidor out of Coors..If so we'd see 40+, 120+, .320 out of Holliday and 35+, 110+, .320 out of Atkins..Bring Back the Bombers
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:38 pm

I would love to read the whole article .. you have a link
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby wrveres » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:49 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:A few weeks ago on mlb.com there was a story that all ballparks were going the way of climate-controlled environments to get the balls all the same. So I can't believe that Coors is doing away with their humidor.

I remember that.
I don't pretend to be an expert on this stuff, but it was my understanding that the Humidor was just an option. I thought there were other options. I do not know what they are, and of course could be very wrong.

I think the bigger story here is, them letting the grass grow even longer.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:08 pm

I've heard various things, so I'm not sure what the truth is. I'll keep an ear out for you guys though.

My personal view is I like the humidor. It really helped the Rockies pitchers last year, and helped us compete for much of the season.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:09 pm

And there goes Jeff Francis as a solid option. :-b
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WyldStallyn » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:47 pm

sportsaddict wrote:And there goes Jeff Francis as a solid option. :-b

just drafted him in a league too. as the article stated, the grass should help, but if they shut those things off theres no way i can start him at home
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Philliebuster » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:24 pm

Clipped...

Bart Lesco, from Sioux Falls, S.D., wonders, "In an article regarding young hitters, MLB.com reported that Brad Hawpe's numbers will improve this year because the Rockies are not going to be using the humidor. Do you have any information about this?" Bart, it was a mistake created by some misreporting being done at Baseball Prospectus and on FoxSports.com that claimed Major League Baseball outlawed the humidor. The truth is, Major League Baseball has recommended all teams create a climate-controlled environment for baseballs. MLB.com since has corrected the mistake, but as recently as last weekend, Dayn Perry on FoxSports.com repeated the erroneous information.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers