Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who's a better player and worth more?

M. Young
53%
H. Ramirez
47%

Total votes : 49

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:29 pm

Definatly Young. Hanley isn't going to have a very good year this year.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chadlincoln » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:38 pm

I'd take Young over Hanley easily. Young is proven and a stud. Hanley did it one year. I'd make Hanley prove me wrong.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Smileyman9 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:55 pm

The thing that convinced me to keep Hanley in my keeper league (besides it being 10 kept guys) was that he started hot, got ice cold (June) and then managed to turn it back on again.

Somehow that takes away a lot of doubts I have about him putting up similar, yet lesser numbers since runs usually bank on being hit in, which isn't exactly something that always will happen 119 times.

As for being overdrafted..yes, he's being drafted way too soon and people are going to start screaming much like they did with Felix about how he's a bum yadda yadda bleh...just nod, smile...and trade them Bobby Crosby for him.
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby DSheppard » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:58 pm

i dont see how young is overrated this year.

hes dropped down to the late 5th round in most draft.

hes averaged 107 runs, 98 rbi, 20 HR and a .319 batting average the past 3 years.

thats very solid 5th round production.

and at 30, hes not likely to improve but thats certainly not an age you need to expect him to fall off at.

the only reason hes not underrated this year is because of how many good SS emerged last year.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:03 pm

I agree with DSheppard, I don't think Mike Young is being overrated this year. If anything, he is kinda flying under the radar because of his HR total in 06. He is still a solid hitter though and should be for a few more years. ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby CadensDad » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:29 pm

Gotta roll with Han-Ram. He just has more upside at this point.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:45 pm

hot4tx wrote:So I don't see any reason to mention his age and decline. I understand that he most likely has reached his potential at his age, but it's not like he's 35 or shown any decline.

That's exactly why I mentioned a decline. You just said yourself he has probably already reached his potential, in which case I'll take the guy who's still going up then the one who can only come down.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:04 pm

People who are in love with HRam need to realize that while his ceiling might be high that his floor is just as low. His minor league stats suggest that he overachieved in 06. I think he will still be good (Furcal?) but his numbers are due for a major correction in 07.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moneymakingmike » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:22 pm

I would take hanley over young but that's because I watched him play for my hometown portland sea dogs for a couple years.

If it is a 1 year league take young for immediate results but if it is a keeper league definatley take hanley. Kid has tremendous upside and he just turned 23 this winter. :-°
i love the dough
moneymakingmike
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:45 pm

You have to go with Michael Young. He was overrated in terms of fantasy last year, but he is definately underrated this year. I think he should hit around .320 with about 20 HR's. Ramirez on the other hand, I am going to see another year similar to last year before I go and up him in front of someone proven like Michael Young.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 431)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers