Miguel Cabrera - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Miguel Cabrera

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Miguel Cabrera

Postby rjforlife » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:19 am

i see him really high in a lot of keeper rankings, but i really have to question people on this. i have a keeper draft in a month, first year of it. i honestly have to say that if the guy with the second pick of the draft took miguel cabrera he would get laughed at. i know his numbers are good and he is young, but i just dont see how you can take him over arod-reyes-howard-santana- and even crawford for that matter. mainly what im thinking is that when it comes to my 1st pick, 6th overall , if i had a choice between reyes howard and m-cab, who should i take and why.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby orange12 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:44 am

Position scarcity, a more established record, and Manny Ramirez/Arod potential is what would make me take MCab ahead of Reyes and Howard. BTW, my keeper rankings would only have Pujols and Santana ahead of MCab.

Now, if either Howard or Reyes decides to back up '06 with a more or less equivalent '07, then I might rethink my stance. But realistically, I don't think Reyes really has 20HR potential which puts him well below MCab in my book and, because MCab already has age and position scarity over Howard, Howard would have to repeat '06 before I rank him over MCab.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:53 am

So let them laugh. Those who pick Cabrera would have the last laugh. The closest thing to a Pujols talent out there.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:26 am

Cabrera is the second best pure hitter in baseball behind Pujols. If he has an age related power spike he's going to end up being the #2 pick in most drafts. Without the power spike he's still a first round pick, I have no issues with taking him very early in a keeper draft.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby chadlincoln » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:44 am

Ender wrote:Cabrera is the second best pure hitter in baseball behind Pujols. If he has an age related power spike he's going to end up being the #2 pick in most drafts. Without the power spike he's still a first round pick, I have no issues with taking him very early in a keeper draft.
I agree. He's so young and once he's got talent around him to drive in, he'll put up great numbers. His power numbers should increase.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:43 am

orange12 wrote:Position scarcity

How would that benefit MCab? 3B is one of the deepest positions. Anyways, I would have no problem drafting him 2nd in a keeper or dynasty, let alone 6th. He's just a great hitter who is going to improve. I see a regress in Howard and Reyes is way overrated IMO.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nails86 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:27 pm

I don't think Reyes really has 20HR potential which puts him well below MCab in my book

Doesnt have 20 HR potential? Forget potential, he pretty much did it last year. Not to mention his HR's have been steadily increasing each year and hes only 23!!! The sky is the limit for this kid, I coud see 25 HR's this year easily.
Nails86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BritSox » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:36 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
orange12 wrote:Position scarcity

How would that benefit MCab? 3B is one of the deepest positions. Anyways, I would have no problem drafting him 2nd in a keeper or dynasty, let alone 6th. He's just a great hitter who is going to improve. I see a regress in Howard and Reyes is way overrated IMO.

Relative to first, where Howard plays, 3B is shallow. That said, mentioning Reyes is a bit of a headscratcher.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby hot4tx » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:32 pm

I understand being cautious with Reyes and Howards 2006 season and expecting some regression. What I don't understand is how you can value MCab's "potential" for a power-spike over the "potential" of Howard or Reyes to repeat. I mean they've already done it before, so there's even some potential for them to improve in power, which is scary.

I like MCab, don't get me wrong... I just think putting too much value in the power spike is very very risky. Some guys don't "spike" and some guys don't do it till later. What happens if you draft MCab that early and it takes him 5 more years before he "spikes"? Or never does? I just see it as more risk for him to increase that drastically than for Howard to repeat 2006.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 209)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:19 pm

hot4tx wrote:I understand being cautious with Reyes and Howards 2006 season and expecting some regression. What I don't understand is how you can value MCab's "potential" for a power-spike over the "potential" of Howard or Reyes to repeat. I mean they've already done it before, so there's even some potential for them to improve in power, which is scary.

I like MCab, don't get me wrong... I just think putting too much value in the power spike is very very risky. Some guys don't "spike" and some guys don't do it till later. What happens if you draft MCab that early and it takes him 5 more years before he "spikes"? Or never does? I just see it as more risk for him to increase that drastically than for Howard to repeat 2006.

Cabrera has increased his ops every year by alot. And he's increased his slugging %. Why wouldn't he continue to increase? Even if he stays where he's at, he's a 1.000 ops guy. And Cabrera still scored more runs, had a better BA, and more sb. Howard likely regresses in BA, hrs, rbis. Howard had a insane 42% hit rate 2nd half. Ichiro had a similiar insane half hit rate % the year he hit .372. He followed that up with 2 years of .50 points less or more. Howard also had a insane 43% hr/f rate, which will regress too. A lower avg, with fewer hrs, makes Cabrera a easy choice for me to beat Howards next 3-5 year stats. Howard will hit more hrs due to park, but that might be the only catergory of the 5 Howard wins.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers