Chili - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Chili

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:07 pm

Phatferd wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Chili rocks. I'm not too particular about it though. I've had some of the nastiest-looking chili when I walk down to Pink's Hot Dogs and it's just a simple recipe of ground beef simmered in tomatoes and chipotle adobo sauce, I take it. They smother this chili onto their chili cheese fries, so much that you'll barely taste the hint of the cheese. Good stuff, but certainly not pretty.

On the other hand, I've had chili that's fancier and really well-rounded, has hints of brown sugar and cocoa in it. I don't think I've had chili with a dark ale as an ingredient, but that would sound awesome. ;-D

I drove down to Pink's a couple weeks ago. I'm in Orange County so it's kind of out of the way, but it's worth it to drive up there once in a blue moon for some good hot dogs.

Man, I'd drive to california to try a Pink's dog. I saw a special on hot dogs the other day on the travel channel and they did a whole profile of pink's.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:35 pm

I won top prize at a chili cookoff last year with this recipe:

2 lbs ground beef - 93% lean
2 46-oz cans V8 juice
2 cans Bush's Best Mild Chili Beans
2 cans Red Kidney Beans (drained & rinsed)
1 red onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
Cumin
Salt & Pepper
Paprika
Coriander
Chili Powder

You know the drill - brown the hamburger and put in a large pot with the V8, beans, garlic and onion. Add spices to taste. I wouldn't begin to know how much to tell you to use because I've never measured.

NOTES:
-I use the Mild chili beans because I like their sauce but I want to control how spicy I make my chili.
-V8 makes a GREAT sauce for chili.
-I've used 1lb ground beef and one or two packages of Boca Burger before, too. Boca is a good filler/binder and makes it really thick, and it's pretty much impossible to tell it's in there. I've served it to friends before and even after I SHOWED them it was in there they still didn't believe me.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:12 pm

I just finished my chili and it turned out great; of course it really builds up its flavor overnight in the fridge, but right now it's a perfect blend of spicy and delicious... and I do like it spicy. Here is the final recipe:

1.5 Large white onions
6 Cloves of garlic
2 lbs Stewed beef, chuck or round
1 lb Pork loin, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 lb Chorizo, chopped
2 Jalepenos, seeded and diced
1 Poblano, seeded and diced
2 Chipotles in adobo, chopped
2 Roasted red peppers, chopped
3 tbls Chili powder
1.5 tbls Ancho chili powder
1 tbls Mexican oregano
2 tsp Cumin
1 tbls Brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbls freshly chopped cilantro
1 tbls unsweetened cocoa
16 oz. beer (Rogue Smoked Ale)
1 large can diced tomatoes, drained
1 small can tomato paste

I was a afraid it would be too much going on since my previous recipes had been fairly simple. But this is a great chili and it thickened up nicely without having to add anything. It's spicy, but not overly; I seeded all the peppers except the chipotles.

I also marinated all the beef and pork overnight in olive oil and chili powder. I browned it with the chorizo, removed it, added onions and garlic, then the beer, tomatoes and then the meat went back in. Then I just continued to add stuff until it was just right. I recommend giving it a try... this might even be good with beans :-b

Knapp, I've heard of the V8 trick and how well it works in chili. I still prefer using the beer since mine isn't as red and tomatoey.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:02 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Phatferd wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Chili rocks. I'm not too particular about it though. I've had some of the nastiest-looking chili when I walk down to Pink's Hot Dogs and it's just a simple recipe of ground beef simmered in tomatoes and chipotle adobo sauce, I take it. They smother this chili onto their chili cheese fries, so much that you'll barely taste the hint of the cheese. Good stuff, but certainly not pretty.

On the other hand, I've had chili that's fancier and really well-rounded, has hints of brown sugar and cocoa in it. I don't think I've had chili with a dark ale as an ingredient, but that would sound awesome. ;-D

I drove down to Pink's a couple weeks ago. I'm in Orange County so it's kind of out of the way, but it's worth it to drive up there once in a blue moon for some good hot dogs.

Man, I'd drive to california to try a Pink's dog. I saw a special on hot dogs the other day on the travel channel and they did a whole profile of pink's.

I'd go to Pink's more often if I didn't have to walk a long way from the office. Basically, an office mate and I would walk down Sunset about over a mile westbound to La Brea and walk an extra mile and a third to head south before Melrose, where you'll find Pink's. But I enjoy the walk and of course, the Pink's hot dogs are definitely worth it when I'm stressed.

The line in front of Pink's is usually packed, but times vary. I'd say usually it takes 15-25 minutes to place an order. It's interesting how you'll find valley girl bimbos in line ahead or behind you on each trip. :-b

Last time I had gone to Pink's, I had an Oscar dog. It's basically a 12 inch Jalapeno dog (pretty much a footlong that's of Polish sausage width with jalapenos embedded) that's topped with bacon, pastrami, lettuce, tomato, and onion. Get a side order of a pile of chili cheese fries and man, I guarantee that the calories you burn on a 4-5 mile walk back and forth from the Revver office to Pink's is pretty much gone for naught. :-b

But yes, the chili dogs are awesome. They have some other artery-clogging hot dogs there. For the price, you get your bang for the buck. Normally in Hollywood I'd spend at least $10-12 on lunch and sometimes $20 depending on where I go, but all I've maxed out on Pink's is $10.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:08 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Phatferd wrote:

I'd go to Pink's more often if I didn't have to walk a long way from the office. Basically, an office mate and I would walk down Sunset about over a mile westbound to La Brea and walk an extra mile and a third to head south before Melrose, where you'll find Pink's. But I enjoy the walk and of course, the Pink's hot dogs are definitely worth it when I'm stressed.

The line in front of Pink's is usually packed, but times vary. I'd say usually it takes 15-25 minutes to place an order. It's interesting how you'll find valley girl bimbos in line ahead or behind you on each trip. :-b

Last time I had gone to Pink's, I had an Oscar dog. It's basically a 12 inch Jalapeno dog (pretty much a footlong that's of Polish sausage width with jalapenos embedded) that's topped with bacon, pastrami, lettuce, tomato, and onion. Get a side order of a pile of chili cheese fries and man, I guarantee that the calories you burn on a 4-5 mile walk back and forth from the Revver office to Pink's is pretty much gone for naught. :-b

But yes, the chili dogs are awesome. They have some other artery-clogging hot dogs there. For the price, you get your bang for the buck. Normally in Hollywood I'd spend at least $10-12 on lunch and sometimes $20 depending on where I go, but all I've maxed out on Pink's is $10.

note to self...must make west coast trip to try this wonderful creation
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:23 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Phatferd wrote:

note to self...must make west coast trip to try this wonderful creation

I think the Oscar dog was a limited-time hot dog I'm afraid because it's not on the regular menu. There's a sign about the Oscar dog posted in front of the Pink's kitchen (it's open-air so that you can smell and see every gory detail on how they fix your hot dog) and I believe it said that it was there for a limited time (maybe until the Oscars next year) They started making a month back, methinks. I'll go back to Pink's this week to see if they still have the Oscar dog and I'll let you know. ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Phatferd » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:58 pm

You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:54 pm

Why was the random thread locked????
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:09 pm

Coppermine wrote:Why was the random thread locked????

When someone said over/under for pages by the end of the month, I almost said over/under pages until it gets locked.

Anyways, I'm guessing someone posted something that didn't belong, like with the toilet paper thread and the posts were just deleted.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Old_Style » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:23 pm

Do we dare venture off and create the "Cafe Cookbook"? :-?

Just a thought....
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk