Kyle Drabek - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Kyle Drabek

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kyle Drabek

Postby nathan050904 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:13 pm

Ok, this guys attitude is supposidly the only question mark. Do you think he'll eventually reach his potential? He's working with Moyer this off-season. Should I pay attention to the stats?

Is he worth the #1 overall pick in this year draft for the #2 overall and Drabek? the picks are basically the MLB's first year players draft players.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Humphrey » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:03 am

ignore the stats and attitude
didn't like pitching in the heat
will reach potential
will be a top 30 prospect this time next year
better guys from the 06 draft, though
Humphrey Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby High Heater » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:44 pm

i personaly dont see it with that kid. theres better pitchers coming out this year and a ton more pitching prospects i like now then him. i dont mind the attitude, but i just dont think he will reach his potential.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Humphrey » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:45 pm

be prepared to be proven wrong
Humphrey Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nathan050904 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:49 pm

More positive news for Drabek. From BA Blog.

Drabek Impresses
Posted Mar. 19, 2007 7:57 am by Chris Kline

CLEARWATER, Fla.—The Phillies’ brass traveled across town to Dunedin on Saturday to see 2006 first-round pick Kyle Drabek pitch in the low Class A game.

Assistant general manager Mike Arbuckle and farm director Steve Noworyta, as well as several Phillies scouts—including assistant scouting director Rob Holiday—made the short trip to see their enigmatic righthander.

And although it was just 3 1/3 innings, Drabek delivered. His fastball velocity was up to 94 mph, and he was locating it to both sides of the plate. His trademark hammer curve also was nasty, and he showed better feel for a changeup than originally advertised.

“We quieted down his delivery somewhat,” Arbuckle said. “Mainly to limit stress on the arm, but in doing that I think he now has a different kind of deception. He had deception before, but now it’s a little tougher to pick the ball up coming out of his hand.”

Drabek, who was known as much for his temper as his quality arm in high school, says it was a compromise solution after he put up uninspiring 1-3, 7.71 numbers in his pro debut in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League.

“In high school I’d always lift my leg a lot higher, and I’d turn my back in my delivery,” Drabek said. “When I got here, they had me going with my leg at a 90-degree angle and not turning at all. It kind of bothered me and I wasn’t throwing as hard.

“They let me go back to my old ways a little bit—we reached a compromise with a slight turn and a lower kick.”

Drabek’s father Doug was also present in the stands, and pulled his 19-year-old son aside after his outing was over.

“It used to be tough on me having him around and I think there was a lot of pressure for me to live up to some kind of unrealistic expectation,” Drabek said.

“Now I’m just trying to go out and do my own thing, make my own way. It’s great having him because I can talk to our pitching coaches and also talk to him. It’s like an extra pitching coach at home.”
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball