Rich Hill projections? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rich Hill projections?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rich Hill projections?

Postby HaZe » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:49 pm

What do you see from him in 2007?

He's available in my 12 teamer... 15th round. I hate drafting 2nd year pitchers..... never know what to expect.

Any opinions would help, thanks.
HaZe
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:02 pm

i would definitely take him there

AAA after he was sent down last year:
7-1, 1.80 ERA, 0.83 WHIP, 135 Ks in 100 innings

After being called back up:
53.3 innings
3.21 ERA
1.11 WHIP
7.8 K/9
2.9 BB/9
1.2 HR/9
7.1 H/9

Bill James projects:
13 wins, 3.40 era, 1.16 whip and a massive 241 Ks in 201 innings

Zips projects:
12 wins, 3.65 era, 1.17 whip and 190 Ks in 175 innings

easily worth a 15 round pick IMO
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:08 pm

Hill likely won't pitch as badly as he did the 1st half and will not come close to pitching as well as he did in the 2nd half. Somewhere in between. Anyone that projects him better than that is really gambling and will likely lose.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 124)

Postby BigLebowski » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:27 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:i would definitely take him there

AAA after he was sent down last year:
7-1, 1.80 ERA, 0.83 WHIP, 135 Ks in 100 innings

After being called back up:
53.3 innings
3.21 ERA
1.11 WHIP
7.8 K/9
2.9 BB/9
1.2 HR/9
7.1 H/9

Bill James projects:
13 wins, 3.40 era, 1.16 whip and a massive 241 Ks in 201 innings

Zips projects:
12 wins, 3.65 era, 1.17 whip and 190 Ks in 175 innings

easily worth a 15 round pick IMO

My projections have him about where Zips has him.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby Denmarch » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:16 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Hill likely won't pitch as badly as he did the 1st half and will not come close to pitching as well as he did in the 2nd half. Somewhere in between. Anyone that projects him better than that is really gambling and will likely lose.

You're right that this is gambling, but are the odds really so bad? There will likely be a regression to some hereto non-existent mean for Hill, but who's to say that mean is not pretty close to his second half numbers--not his September stats alone, but his stats since his last call-up?

I see two good reasons and one dubious reason why his post-callup stats are not sustainable:
1. He was simply hot then, nailing pitches more than he's capable
2. The league will get used to him, as they do to all pitchers (except Santana).
3. There was no massive scouting/homer-hype-machine surrounding Hill like what there is for Hamels, Bailey, Hughes etc (so we're a bit more skeptical about his talents)

I see two big reasons/suggestions why his later stats may be pretty close to his capability:
1. He showed immense skill in the minors, and his later 2006 stats may already nearly correct for the league change (sub-4.00 era instead of a sub-2.00 era, a low but not absurdly low WHIP, etc)
2. Hill's early 2006 stats were influenced by the psychological factors (read: nerves, self-consciousness, etc) involved with joining the big club that early in the season, and affected his ability

Just my two (or five, I guess) cents... But why do you think he'll "not come close" to pitching like his second half?
Denmarch
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Old_Style » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:26 pm

Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DevilDriver » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:06 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Hill likely won't pitch as badly as he did the 1st half and will not come close to pitching as well as he did in the 2nd half. Somewhere in between. Anyone that projects him better than that is really gambling and will likely lose.

I agree. I don't think his stuff is good enough to come close to matching his second half.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fade2White12 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:43 am

DevilDriver wrote:

I agree. I don't think his stuff is good enough to come close to matching his second half.

He has a sweet wicked 12-6, not to mention he's been working on his cutter and change much more to compliment that plus pitch of his. He has GREAT stuff.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:49 am

i think 241 ks is a bit much :-°

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DevilDriver » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:21 am

Fade2White12 wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:

He has a sweet wicked 12-6, not to mention he's been working on his cutter and change much more to compliment that plus pitch of his. He has GREAT stuff.

He's mainly a two-pitch guy. Other than his great curve, his fastball is high 80s/low 90s. Good stuff, but not remotely ace quality.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers