Baseball Newbie Question: Draft Upcoming - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball Newbie Question: Draft Upcoming

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baseball Newbie Question: Draft Upcoming

Postby angels7777 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:21 pm

I am new to fantasy baseball. I played once last year briefly in a public league, but this year I am in a league with better competition. What strategy should I go into a draft with in H2H standard cats? I read sites where it says to put players into different tiers? Should I draft scarce positions first such as catchers, etc.? Should I try to build a solid pitching staff? Or should I just take best available player? Can someone with experience give me a little guidance here? Should I value speed over power?
5x5 H2H, NK 10 tms

C-
1- Fielder
2- Carpenter
3- Wright
SS- Desmond
OF- J. Upton, Trout, Heyward
UTL- Werth
BN- E. Cab
SP- Hamls, Gio, Latos, Tehran, D. Salzar, Lirano, Grza, Kluber, Lincum, Lacky
RP- Cishek, Veras, Soria, Brothers, Hawkins
DL- Crain
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 500)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:27 pm

As you hop around on the Cafe, you'll notice everyone has a lot of different theories.

Most say when in doubt to go with hitting over pitching, because the hitters are more reliable year-to-year than pitchers. I usually go this way, but still I'm always nervous if I don't have at least one ace pitcher (it can make for a long season if you don't have an anchor).

Re. position scarcity, I think you want to be aware of it, but don't be a slave to it, otherwise you may end up picking a Brian McCann when you could've gotten a David Wright. In the first two rounds I think it's good to go with the best available offensive player regardless of position. Maybe shoot for a top-tier pitcher in the 3rd round, some wheels (stolen bases) in the 4th round, and then someone good at a scarce position in the 5th, that sort of thing.

The tiers are a good idea just so you have a visual of who's still available, where the drop in talent is and how drastic the drop-off is.

Overall, hitting before pitching is my advice, but sneak a solid #1 pitcher in there early, and make sure you have balance on offense. One mistake I've made a lot is to load up on HR/RBI guys 'cause I like the mightiness of homeruns, but I've done this at the expense of steals, avg & runs. It's cool to dominate two categories, but not when you're losing all of the rest because you don't have any balance.

Hopefully that helped a little bit and didn't leave you more confused than you were when you started. Also take it with a grain of salt, 'cause I have played this game for eight years and never won a championship. javascript:emoticon(':,-(')
Sad
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby suppasonic » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:05 am

My strategy is to draft pure hitters, Best availible, for the first 4-5 rounds. I'll grab Santana if he drops in the last two picks of the 1st or into the 2nd. Then in 5-6 I'll grab the last of the peavy/zambrano/smoltz/etc. staff anchors. I'll continue to draft hitters until about the 10th, where I will take lots of high upside pitchers such as Hamels, Bush, Olsen, Schmidt, Burnett, etc. depending on availabilty, as well as one or two closers.

Near the end of the draft I will pick up some combination (2) of Broxton, Shields, Zumaya, Howry, and Duscherer. Not only will these guys step into closers roles should the top one get injured or suck, but two combine is the exact same as an ace starter.

I go for balanced speed (Guillen, Grady, C. Lee, etc.) over speed whores like Pierre, Roberts, and Crawford.

In H2H, your focus should be on power. You need some speed too, but not as much as you would need in a roto.

Focus your bench spots almost entirely on pitchers. I'll grab usually one or two bench hitter sleepers with high upside.

Hope I've helped.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:26 am

I generally say grab the best player left, assuming you have a spot in your starting lineup (and later on, on your team) for him. What I personally do best is spot pitchers who aren't proven but who end up having good years, and getting them late. As a result, my general theory is to go with hitters early.

Another thing that you should keep in mind is that you really can't be scared to take a chance on someone. If you get all players that play to their face value, you will end up smack dab in the middle of the league, and assuming you are playing to win, this doesn't work for you. Take a chance on a rookie, unproven player, or my personal favorite, someone who is injury prone, that could have a good year or someone that had an off year last year. Usually you can get these players in the later rounds of the draft, so it isn't even that much of a chance if you think about it.

Don't be too trigger happy during the season. If one of your best players goes into a 10 day slump, don't automatically assume you should drop him. That isn't to say don't pick up a FA/W if you think they are going to be really good, but just don't give up on guys too soon.

Hope this was helpful, and good luck. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:56 am

Hitting > Pitching.

When ranking players you need to modify rankings based by the STD Deviation of players at that position, whatever you do don't use VORP as its basically useless. Thats how I do things though I'm sure many will disagree. The value of a player who isn't drafted has nothing to do with how valuable players are, you need to compare your pick to the picks of other teams.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby angels7777 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:54 pm

I just found out that I have the #4 pick. Anyone know the top 4 I should target around and who I should target 2nd round? There are 8 teams.
5x5 H2H, NK 10 tms

C-
1- Fielder
2- Carpenter
3- Wright
SS- Desmond
UTL- Werth
BN- E. Cab
DL- Crain
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby tms298 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:07 pm

In an 8 team league, things will be quite different from what you normally read about around here. There will be plenty of hitting available. If Johan is there at #4 in an 8 team league, you have to take him.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby angels7777 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Ender wrote:Hitting > Pitching.

When ranking players you need to modify rankings based by the STD Deviation of players at that position, whatever you do don't use VORP as its basically useless. Thats how I do things though I'm sure many will disagree. The value of a player who isn't drafted has nothing to do with how valuable players are, you need to compare your pick to the picks of other teams.

...and how exactly would I use STD deviation or what site could I use or would you recommmend? Is there any site that that has players tiered off already? I have looked at the cafe's mock draft already...
5x5 H2H, NK 10 tms

C-
1- Fielder
2- Carpenter
3- Wright
SS- Desmond
UTL- Werth
BN- E. Cab
DL- Crain
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:33 pm

I strongly recommend checking out some of the mock auctions as well as rankings when they become available, to supplement your draft. That will give you a better idea of where people are valuing players, and by adjusting the mocks to an 8-team league, you can somewhat gague what rounds you can anticipate players falling to. Since you're new to FB, I'd wait until after this draft is out of the way before diving into things like deviation -- though taking the time over the next calendar year to learn about it among other analysis will help you throughout this season, and you'll be rarin' to go come 2008 draft time. For 07, however, I'd use some of the tools provided right here to guide you.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 821)

Postby angels7777 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:01 pm

Is there a mock auction in the Cafe? Also, my league counts hits as an additional category. Would this make a guy like Jeter more valuable since he is a free swinger?

I would have picks 4, 13, and 20 in this draft....
5x5 H2H, NK 10 tms

C-
1- Fielder
2- Carpenter
3- Wright
SS- Desmond
UTL- Werth
BN- E. Cab
DL- Crain