Carlos Quentin and Chris B. Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Quentin and Chris B. Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos Quentin and Chris B. Young

Postby deutschland » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:59 pm

I'm having some trouble projecting these young AZ OFs. I've seen Quentin ranked among the top 30 OFs, on par with a Rocco Baldelli type, but in many mock drafts he isn't even taken. Pretty similar with Young. Can we really expect big things from them this year or are they being a bit overvalued by some? Are either of them really more valuable this year than AZ's other OF, Eric Byrnes?
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j24jags » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:11 pm

You should probably expect similar to slightly better numbers out of Quentin/Young than Byrnes, but know that their upside is way way higher than Byrnes.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mbuser » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:12 pm

i'm going to be targeting quentin late, for sure. 25 xbh (including 9 HR) in 166 at bats last season and he showed a pretty good eye. young i'm less excited about for this season -- i think his offense will take more time. i'd take quentin before byrnes, but byrnes before young
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:23 pm

Quentin was a rock through the minors - steady as can be - and he was good in the easily-translatable area of OBP:

Year Level OBP
2004 A+ 0.428
2004 AA 0.443
2005 AAA 0.422
2006 AAA 0.420

If you want a "safer" risk, take Quentin. He's probably going to get you about 20 dingers without killing your AVG one bit. If you're in an OBP league, he's actually a solid investment.

If you want potential, however, Young has more upside. He's got 20/20 built in to him, but he'll hurt your AVG pretty badly. If he could ever start making better contact, he could be significantly better than Quentin. I like to think of him as having the potential to be a poor man's Beltran.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby hot4tx » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:35 pm

Maybe Young is a poor man's Mike Cameron, who's a poor man's Beltran? ;)

As far as Quentin goes... I'm interested in his splits. Below Mendoza line against LHPs. Did anyone see him live last year? Did he just absolutely look lost against LHPs?

Just wondering if he might not be a bad OF4 platoon guy and sit him against RHPs and top pitchers.... hmmmm....
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 138)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:48 pm

hot4tx wrote:Just wondering if he might not be a bad OF4 platoon guy and sit him against RHPs and top pitchers.... hmmmm....

Well, as is always the case with rookies, it's always a good idea to have a ready replacement.

My top 4 OFs on my 14-teamer are Bay, Dunn, Drew, & Quentin. The last two will be starting based on performance.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby mak1277 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:42 pm

For what it's worth, Baseball Prospectus has Young as the #2 player under 25 in the D-backs system...Quentin is #5. PECOTA absolutely loves Chris Young.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby thedude » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:45 pm

hot4tx wrote:Maybe Young is a poor man's Mike Cameron, who's a poor man's Beltran? ;)

As far as Quentin goes... I'm interested in his splits. Below Mendoza line against LHPs. Did anyone see him live last year? Did he just absolutely look lost against LHPs?

Just wondering if he might not be a bad OF4 platoon guy and sit him against RHPs and top pitchers.... hmmmm....

I doubt he is a poor man Mike Cameron. He has the potenial to have a .280-.290 batting average. Pecota thinks he can hit .280 with 25 homers and 20 steals.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:48 pm

thedude wrote:
hot4tx wrote:Maybe Young is a poor man's Mike Cameron, who's a poor man's Beltran? ;)

I doubt he is a poor man Mike Cameron. He has the potenial to have a .280-.290 batting average. Pecota thinks he can hit .280 with 25 homers and 20 steals.

I think that will be a normal season for him in about 2 years, but I would expect something closer to .270 this year.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigken117 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:55 pm

mak1277 wrote:PECOTA absolutely loves Chris Young.

True...it projects him to have more value than Sizemore using the PFM for my league - using typical 5 hitting stats and OPS - it has him as the 15th rated player overall 8-o

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers