Tim Hudson/Mark Buehrle - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tim Hudson/Mark Buehrle

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby chipper » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:17 pm

JakeTrain72 wrote:Hudson in particular should provide clues during ST because he was getting behind in counts most of last season and hardly threw his off-speed stuff resulting in plenty of "just get it over the plate" stuff that MLB players feast on. I'd just watch his WHIP during ST and if its reasonable I'm buying Hudson cheap.

I like Hudson this year too.

Let's not forget one thing......He pitched the last 2 years with absolutely no bullpen. Which means 2 things. 1- He missed out on quite a few wins with the pen blowing leads after he left the game; and 2- A lot of times Bobby Cox left Huddy in the game far longer than he should have, considering he had absolutely no faith in his bullpen. Yeah Huddy got ripped a couple times early in the game, but many times he would be solid through 6 and then get hit hard late. Guess what......this year in Atlanta......it's a 6 inning game for starting pitchers. Soriano in the 7th, Gonzales in the 8th, Wickman in the 9th. Good night.

Though I like Buerhle to come back a little, give me Huddy in the NL and with that bullpen.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chipper » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:21 pm

hot4tx wrote:A 28 year old, career 3.83 ERA, 1.26 WHIP pitcher without excessive injury risk, who starts on a good team (more chances for Ws) is not going to make your bench in a 12-team league because he had one bad year?

A 32 year old, career 3.57 ERA, 1.27 WHIP pitcher without excessive injury risk who had a bad year last year but the year before had a 3.52 ERA and just 3 years ago was considered one of the top SPs in fantasy, posting consecutive sub-3 ERA seasons is not good enough for your bench?

How do I get in ya'll leagues? O:-)

Haha.

True dat.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:09 pm

I'd take Buehrle over Hudson. I think Buehrle will bounce back this year.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:10 pm

Pass on both. They are both pretty useless in fantasy unless your league doesn't count Ks. I don't draft pitchers based on W and ERA.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hot4tx » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:25 pm

I'm in a 5x5 head to head with no max IP, so I definitely do draft pitchers based on ERA. I can lump two late-to-mid-round mid-3 ERA pitchers together and their K and wins add to make a stud pitcher.

...and on the IP thoughts on Buehrle make sure that you remember how low his pitches per inning is. While he has thrown tons of innings, I don't think he has throw more than an average amounts of pitches in that span. So you can't put the too many miles on his arm argument out there. Especially with him still in his 20s.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Thursday » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:42 pm

Yoda wrote:Pass on both. They are both pretty useless in fantasy unless your league doesn't count Ks. I don't draft pitchers based on W and ERA.

K's do not a fantasy title make, my friend.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:47 pm

Thursday wrote:
Yoda wrote:Pass on both. They are both pretty useless in fantasy unless your league doesn't count Ks. I don't draft pitchers based on W and ERA.

K's do not a fantasy title make, my friend.

Really? Last time I checked it is one of 10 categories used by most of the free world...

I usually judge pitchers based on their components which are better future indicator of their future performance than W or ERA. Buehrle is a better option than Hudson at this point but both have been pretty overrated in their career in terms of fantasy and why I never had them on my roster.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby chipper » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:05 pm

I'd say both were decent options 2 years ago....esspecially if you are getting them with your very late picks like will be the case this year. Strikeouts of course are very important, but those guys can help elsewhere. If Huddy can pitch 5-6 innings, get a few strikeouts, hold a team to 3 runs, and get the W.....that's a productive fantasy start. He only used 5 to 6 innings, gets a win, and would grab around 20 points. If he is spot started when he's got a good matchup, he can be valuable.

I would be very happy with either one of those guys as my last pick in a 12 team league.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hot4tx » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:12 pm

Of course maybe part of the problem is apples to oranges comparison with leagues.

In roto leagues with an innings limit these low K/9 guys do take a HUGE hit because they give you empty K innings. In 5x5 head to head and leagues without IP limits I'd love to draft either one as high as round 15!
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers